Going the Verdon
after La Mure, the Valley narrows between the Vauclause East and Maurel in the West, with peaks around 2,000 m. after walking along the River, it crosses the Verdon on a bridge built in the middle of the 19th century which allowed to connecting the upper Valley.
Soon after, near the station of Thorame-Haute, the chapel Notre-Dame-de-la-Fleur, built again in 1927, is a place of frequent pilgrimage which takes place the Monday of Pentecost.
After a few kilometers, the valley widens and reveals the village of Thorame-Haute, let left to rise very quickly on a mountainside in the direction of the Colle-Saint-Michel, become an active cross-country ski resort. Winter, 120 km of pistes are perfectly marked and groomed regularly. This station is also specialized in the Organization of courses of skiing with sled dogs.
At the exit of the village a small wooded road leads to Peyresq, offering a superb panorama on the Valley of the Vaïre (tributary of the Var). Housed at the foot of limestone cliffs, to the limit of cultivable land and pastures, Peyresq was founded in the 13th century. At the beginning of the 17th century, the fief belonged to the Fabri family of the great humanist Nicolas Fabri de Peiresc, who took an interest in the language of oc in trying to regain the poetry of the troubadours, to astronomy by drawing the first map of the Moon and discovering the Orion Nebula, the anatomy by studying the flow of blood and lymph. It should also be the introduction in France of jasmine and Angora cats... Like many villages of haute Provence, Peyresq emptied of much of its population at the end of the 19th century. In 1952, the village had seven lamps. His alarm clock date from 1953, an Belgian urbanist architect, Georges Lambeau, discovered the village and decided to create a home "humanist, international, cultural and artistic" for its students. Pro Peyresq was born. The association bought several houses, restored them and today organizes numerous seminars. Little by little, the people of the country returned the summer and undertook to improve their habitat. Peyresq was saved and still resonates with noise from its shipyard.
The recently listed, church was built probably in the 14th century in late Romanesque style. It is a small stocky, solid, building with a high facade that illuminates a single Phillips Bay. The two-span nave is barrel-vaulted broken reinforced rectangular timbers.
The gate, which the archivolt is decorated with a roller, opens on the south wall.
Castellane : 40km.
The village is perched on a steep ledge overlooking the Vaire. According to ancient historians of Provence, he was renowned for its forests of fir and tall trees which was ship masts. The reforestation work by waters and forests at the end of the 19th century helped to reconstitute the forest mantle.
The Church, built, apparently in the 14th century, with addition of a collateral of Gothic in the 16th century, contains an exceptional furniture, as an altarpiece panels painted about 1500. Two paintings of quality, from the 17th century, adorn the side chapels: a Deposition from cross which the invoice recalls François Mimault and a gift of the Rosary, in the presence of Louis XIV and Anne of Austria with St. Joseph and St. James, dated 1647.
Méailles territory has a cave already mentioned by the historian Féraud in 1840: "this cave, dug into a nummulites limestone bench, is located 2 km northwest of the village, towards the village of Peyresq. Its opening is very low but soon the rock rises, its walls expand, and inhabits an irregular Gallery, very spacious that can be tracked on a length of nearly 400 m. There are very beautiful stalactites and a thick layer of tufa [...] a bed of puddingstone composed of limestone cores all well rounded [...] ». It takes approximately 1 h 30 walk to get there.
Castellane : 37km.
Lovers of nature and silence have fell in love for this tiny hamlet, lost at 1300 m altitude, which can be reached after three quarters of an hour of tortuous track. Countless paths, slabbed since time immemorial, traverse a landscape of terraces, oak forests or pastures, where one of the residents allowed to graze freely his mares. One discovers with surprise, back-to-back to the trunk of an oak tree and concealed in a pile of rocks, the bust of a character in robe, sitting, life-size. He was able to be identified by her dress like a Roman Knight whose tomb dates back to the second quarter of the 1Stcentury b.c. This statue is part of the remains of a mausoleum to floors, once won by a landslide. It's probably the oldest known to date in Gaul. A project of restoration and reconstruction (comp, Museum of the site) should soon allow the development and access.
Nestled in the rock of Lauzière, the village of le Fugeret is located on the left bank of the Vaïre, in a large bowl. At the entrance of the village, the Pont de Pierre rests on a 14 m arch thrown above the torrent, it was built in 1759. The Church, partly rebuilt in 1808 (the collapse of the roof overloaded with snow), contains three beautiful paintings of the 17th century: a rosary with Louis XIII, a martyrdom of St. Sebastian with saint Pierre and saint Paul, good invoice, and a painting by André in 1661, Saint Pierre and saint Pons at the feet of the Virgin and child.