Version FrançaiseEnglish VersionNederlandse versieDeutsch Version
1 week in the Gorges du Verdon= 2 campsites to discover the richness of this incredible site

Find out more

Villars-Colmars, Colmars-les-Alpes and Allos


The village has retained its old well restored houses. Going up the main street, we discover first, right, the chapel Saint-Blaise and his beautiful retable of 17th century, dedicated to saint Blaise (patron of the carders) and to St Ursula (Patron Saint of Drapers) then, on a decorated square with a fountain, on the floor of a House, a sundial of 1699.
Excursion: A passable track leads to the hamlet of Chasse (4 km), haven of peace where nature reigns supreme. Just after the village, a beautiful cascade down the mountain, below the Autapie massif.


When, following the assassination of Queen Jeanne, Allos and Barcelonnette will give, in 1388, at the Savoy, rejecting the sovereignty of the House of Anjou, Colmars becomes a strategic border town; It will remain until 1713, when linking Allos and the Ubaye at the France him will take away his defensive interest. The ramparts and the rampart walk visible today were raised in 1391; only towers dating from the 17th century and Vauban.
  • The Fort de France
We first discovered at the entrance to the city. It was only a support, simple redoubt of square plan, with two bartizans at angles and four embrasures of artillery opening on each side to cover the bridge, the city and the two slopes of the Valley.
Unfortunately, it has lost its roof and degrades.
  • The Fort of Savoie
The first enclosure is home to the corps de garde the watchers and the archaeological remains (Roman columns that would come from the temple of Mars). A drawbridge, now disappeared, topped by a machicolation, spanned a moat filled with water and allowed to enter the fort itself says. An alley serves then four rooms in enfilade. The first was reserved for officers, the other three soldiers at rest; the weapons room was located above.
From one room to the other, low, vaulted passages were designed to hinder the heavily loaded enemies, had they arrived so far. To the right of the first room, a few steps lead to Watchtower: one is immediately struck by the beauty of the Red larch frame, assembled in Crow's feet. This tour includes three embrasures facing Northeast and thirty-two embrasures. It then accesses the Hall of weapons were heavy and light weapons manoeuvres. By winning the outdoor curbs, approaching the grand chemin de ronde, whose walls were more than 2.50 m thick. A beautiful Watch Tower brick dove into the Verdon. By a low, vaulted passageway, one finally arrives in the inner courtyard with its seven doorways, its path and a tank fed by a spring whose water never freezes.
  • The Chapel
Inside the enclosure, the Saint-Joseph (grey penitents) chapel contains a beautiful baroque altarpiece, twisted columns, work of the sculptor Pierre Berbegier of Moustiers with canvas depicting the Virgin Mary, saint Joseph and saint Francis was painted by Liew Angloie in 1648.
The chapel Notre-Dame-de-Grâce (pénitents blancs) was rebuilt in 1674; its pretty wrought iron campanile, unique in this region was made in 1829 by Antoine Pascal.
St Martin's parish church was built between 1681 and 1695. It should be noted, near the choir, an excellent canvas of the Rosary, probably contemporary of the altarpiece (circa 1700). It shows an evolution of the sculpture with the appearance of the right column in Groove. At the bottom of the Church, the altarpiece of the souls in purgatory, installed around 1730, knows more than the right column.
Colmars is the starting point for beautiful hikes; two appear to be necessary: firstly the excursion to the waterfall of la Lance (about 1 h round trip); It nestles in a circus of dark rocks and freezes by the coldest winter days.
Another getaway leads to the Col des Champs by a winding road of 12 km in the middle of the larch forests.

Special Offers

Chalet on campsite at Castellane Mobile-home
Starting from 301 €/Week

Mobile-home at Castellane Chalet
Starting from 350 €/Week

Camping pitches at Castellane Gorges du Verdon Pitches Gorges du Verdon
Starting from 18 €/Night


Farming to tourism. Allos had to suffer constant conflicts between the France and Savoy. Its ramparts, Louis XIII did shave, it remains that a transformed Tower in steeple around 1700. At the beginning of the century, the town was an important cattle farming centre, equipped with a powerful cooperative. Today, Allos has become a pleasant tourism centre which brings together two major ski resorts: Le Seignus and La Foux.
  • Notre-Dame-de-Valvert
The architecture, the scenery of the bedside unit of the portal suggest that the building belongs to late Alpine Romanesque, probably from the 13th century. The facade has beautiful rings arching falling on the posts with capitals decorated with carved motifs (bear, RAM, heads). The Church contains a beautiful altarpiece from the beginning of the 17th century, precursor of the great baroque altarpieces.
  • Excursions
Three trips are preferred: pass (formerly Valgelaye) with its panorama, the sources of the Verdon, from the top of La Foux, and, above all, Lake Allos. 12 km winding road leads from Allos. Parking is about 45 minutes from the Lake, which is reached by a trail marked by reading tables with the landscape and its history.Perched at an altitude of 2,230 m, deep in the Middle, about 50 m and an area of 60 ha, it is the largest lake in high mountain in Europe. His story begins about 20000 years ago. A huge glacier, moving, hollow and polishes the current Lake Allos. Continuing its progress, he crossed a first glacial lock, down the slope and dig a second, less deep depression, the current plateau of Laus closed, too, by a rock lock. Two lakes existed. The second disappeared, filled by sediment and alluvium, colonized by vegetation which accumulated fossil layers to form a bog

hiking - Verdon Gorge
hiking- Castellane
hiking - Verdon gorge
hiking - Roc Castellane

Back to questions on Cities near Castellane

Other information
Other categories