1 week in the Gorges du Verdon= 2 campsites to discover the richness of this incredible site
Find out more
1 week in the Gorges du Verdon= 2 campsites to discover the richness of this incredible site
Find out more
Streets of Castellane
1. Montée de l’HorlogeThe clock tower is one of the towers of Castellane built in the middle ages, in 1359. Castellane were then 14 laps inserted within the walls of the city. This tower was one of the gateways to the city, also called sunset door because turned towards the West. At the top of the clock tower has been installed a wrought iron campanile.
(See Panel Verdon Regional natural park located under the Tower)
2. Montée de la PoudrièreThe powder magazine was the name given to a natural cave, probably located under the rampart of the city, which was used to store gunpowder. From the 15th century, close to there was the Hall of weapons of the "town house".
3. La Plus Haute Rue«Soubeiran» means the highest in Provençal, and geographically, it is the highest street of the city. One can still see today ancient dwelling houses. The House type has changed little from the 17th to the 19th century. She was built and induced to plaster, high and narrow, with usually three or four floors. On the ground floor, was the team which gave onto the street. Then a staircase climbing upstairs to the kitchen and the bedroom. Above, one or two storeys and attics to store crops and fruit dryers overcame home.
4. Rue de la Côte
5. Passage du BausThe Baus is the oldest neighborhood in the upper part of the city. Before even that there are walls, Castellane developed from the Baus. The street on the side allowed to circulate in this neighborhood. Even today, winter gardens are cultivated.
6. Chemin de la TourThe path leads to Tower Pentagonale, one of the Fourteen towers of the rampart of Castellane. Pentagonale Tower has the particularity of having, as its name suggests, five sides. This tower is an ancient "Tower in throat', which means that it was open to the inside. This construction technique allowed during attacks, better to repel the attackers. Thus, when enemies came to seize the Tower, it was still possible to continue to fight them because they were visible inside the tower. A brick wall was built when the tower is transformed into pigeonnier in the 18thcentury. Finally, at the foot of the Tower Pentagonale, a bourgeois and arrosable Garden was grown. Part of the path of the Tour is private. In silhouette on the plates of streets, Pentagonale Tower is a symbol of identity for the Castellanais.
7. Rue de la ParoisseStreet of the parish runs along part and other Saint Victor Church. This church was the parish church of Castellane from the 15th to the 19th century. The parish was transferred to the Church of the sacred heart during the construction of the latter in 1869.
8. Passage des rétameursTinkers worked Tin. In principle itinerant then attached to Castellane, they repaired and étamaient all domestic, cutlery, utensils pots and buckets. Several tinkers were installed in the area until the end of the second world war.
9. Rue Saint VictorSaint Victor Church gave its name to the street. This church was built on land that belonged to the Abbey of Saint-Victor-de-Marseille. It was built between the 12th and the 18th century and classified "Historical Monument" in 1944. The Church Saint Victor is late Romanesque style, in the articulation of Romanesque and Gothic art.It consists of a nave and an apse in house dating from the 13th century South. A bell tower was Deputy in the 15th century. It was enlarged by two aisles in the 16th and 18th century. Today, the work of restoration of the Church Saint Victor is undertaken by the town of Castellane in order to restore all its sparkle.
10. Place des NégociantsSituated between the Alps and Provence, Castellane is since always instead of crossing, Exchange and trading. She had very famous fairs where sold, exchanged beasts and amount of food: wheat, apples, pears, plums against olive oil, wine and various products from basse Provence.
11. Traverse du Palais de JusticeCastellane was a courthouse from the Middle Ages until the early 20th century. It was located between 1730 and 1830 on the plot, at the corner of the crossbar and rue du Milieu, in the big house in the monumental staircase. Justice of the peace was then made until 1927 in a building overlooking the Place Marcel Sauvaire, at the location of the current savings. A sundial can still be seen today, adorned the building.
12. Traverse du Prieur LaurenzyPrior Laurenzy was born in 1719 in Castellane. After his theological studies, he was appointed to Sandra, then to Castellane CA. 1760. He then undertook his life's main work: "The history of Castellane" which appeared in 1775, the same year that his appointment of prior parish priest of Castellane. Refractory to the civil constitution of the clergy, he emigrated under the French Revolution. He returned to Castellane and there died in his house in the rue du Milieu in 1808.
13. Place de la FontaineThis place is also called Place aux Herbes, instead of the vegetable market. The fountain which occupies the centre of the square is called "the fountain of lions", a family, Lions (pronounced "Lionce"), lived in this place and gave his name to the fountain. On the bottom of a door, one can still observe lions carved in wood. The fountain was adorned with a cross and then a ball at the top until the early 20th century.
14. Passage de la Cour RoyalThe first courthouse was facing the Church Saint - Victor at the end of the barony de Castellane and at the beginning of the Angevin domination of the counts of Provence (13th century). He was subsequently moved to the city.
15. Rue du MilieuProvençal 'mid-life' which means middle, rue du Milieu shares the town of Castellane from side to side. It was the street merchants and bourgeois. Beautiful houses dating from the 17th and 18th century to stand even today. This street remained shopping and lively.
16. Place des Quatre CoinsFormerly, two streets crossed at this location. In Provençal, the four corners refer to a crossroads, a crossing of streets. From a House was demolished in the 19th century resulting in the creation room.
17. Rue du portail des boeufsThis small street leads at the church square through the door of the Annunciation. In the 18th century, at this place we gather the herd of cattle of the villagers to get them with the food, probably in the mountain of Destourbes. The oxen were then used as labour for the labour force. Bouviers paid by the municipality kept the beasts.
18. Porte de l’AnnonciadeThe door of the Annunciation is one of the gateways to the city, also known as the door of the rising as open towards the East. Its name refers to the votive feast of Castellane, feast of the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary, which takes place normally on 25 March. At Castellane, for a long time, this festival has been postponed to the last Sunday in may, to enjoy income spring. Front door of the Annunciation, Castellane also celebrates the French costume and song, the last Sunday of January. (See Panel silhouette of the French, in front of the door).
19. Rue du TeissonThis street to circulate in the city, behind the rampart, through a passage between the houses. Underground galleries were in the street for the evacuation of waste water. The word "teisson" means Badger in Provençal. For a long time, the Teisson Street remained dark and poorly lit, in reference to the Badger who comes out to the night and dig holes in the Earth.
20. Impasse près le fourIt is the only toponymic traces of three communal ovens d Castellane. The first was at the top of the village, the second to the Church of the Sacred Heart and the third in the impasse. Until the 20th century, the oven was used to bakers and villagers who pétrissaient themselves their bread. In this case, a fournier took care of the cooking.
21. Rue de la FontaineIn the course of the 19th century, a fountain was installed at the corner of the street of la fontaine and rue du lavoir. There are traces of this building today.
22. Rue de l’architecte FéraudThe Feraud included an entire family of architects known in the 17th and 18th century. They participated for the expansion of the Church of Saint Victor and the construction of the chapel of the convent of the fathers of Mercy. Arches "basket handle" mark their style that one can recognize in the drawing of a House door, the Fountain Square.
23. Rue du lavoirClose to the fountain destroyed and not far from the street of the "Valat" (Rue Nationale) used for the flow of water, a wash house was installed in the street. The wash-house was a meeting point for women. They are washed linen and en took advantage to telling the stories of the district and the village. Today, there are more laundry in Castellane.
24. Rue du MazeauMarc comes from the Provençal "mazel" which means the butchery, slaughterhouse. Etymologically, "maselier" means the butcher. A few maseliers were likely to be installed in the area in the middle ages.
25. Le CordonThe cord is the small stream bordering the old ramparts overlooking the Place Marcel Sauvaire. It extends from the former Palace of Justice (current Caisse d'Epargne) Tower forming the angle at the end of the aisle. It was a place to walk for the notables of Castellane. Even today, the place is bustling. It hosts many bars and offers a space of encounter for the Castellanais and visitors.
26. Place Marcel SauvaireThe square was renamed in homage to Marcel Sauvaire, castellanais resistant during the second world war. Marcel Sauvaire was shot at quarter Notre Dame the day of the release of Castellane, on August 17, 1944. This place was formerly called Place of the Grave. Before the construction of the dam in the 18th century, Verdon came regularly deposit its gravel during floods.
27. Place de l'EgliseThe Church of the Sacred Heart dates from the second half of the 19th century. It was built between 1869 and 1873. It became the parish church of Castellane because Saint Victor Church was regarded as too old at this time. This new Church is built at the instigation of the Abbot Pougnet, priest and architect. This Abbot officiated several years in West Africa during the 19th century. Thus, the Church of the sacred heart has the particularity to be built as these churches in West Africa.One can notice the influence of a certain romanticism in its architectural decor.
28. Rue de la MercyThe order of mercy was founded at the time of the Crusades. Entering orders, the fathers of mercy were four vows which one, the gift of their lives. Until the Revolution, the fathers of Mercy collected funds to redeem and restore freedom to the slaves. Their first monastery stood on the rock, next to the chapel. The second convent built in the city gave its name to the street.
29. Montée des Fontainelles«Fontainelles» are small non-potable sources which flow at the bottom of the area of the greenhouse and that were used to irrigate the gardens. The surplus flowed by the ravine of the same name, along the wall to the East of the city and served as the faubourg (potters, tanneries) industries. On the road leading to the Roc, a still visible tunnel is one of the developments of these sources.
30. Rue de la paix
31. Ruelle des menusiersAlley, located across the square of the Church, in the suburb, formerly housed the District of carpenters. The oldest, a charron then four carpenters-cabinetmakers worked at this location. The last workshop went to settle elsewhere in 1982.
32. Traverse de la BourgadeThe village means the suburb that is located outside the walls of the city. With times returned peace and under demographic pressure, Castellane had to grow in and out of its walls from the 16th century: to the East, du faubourg Saint Martin, in the West, du faubourg St Michel, later to the South with land gradually reclaimed the Verdon.
33. Rue du Lieutenant BlondeauLieutenant Blondeau was chef at the Gendarmerie Nationale at the end of the 19th century. The RCMP building built in the early 19th century was then at the end of the street, at the entrance to Castellane by the old road of Grasse.
34. Traverse des écuriesThe houses of this ferry had huge barns occupying the entire surface of the ground floor. These stables, accompanied by consistent feeders, were used to accommodate animals at fairs.
35. Rue Saint Jean du BonheurFor feast of St Jean, the first day of summer, residents of this street are used to meet. They leave the tables, make a good meal, dance and have fun in a warm and friendly atmosphere. Therefore, an evening of celebration, the inhabitants decided to baptize their rue Saint Jean du Bonheur. Remained until then without designation, rue Saint Jean of happiness has been adopted by all and the name stuck.
36. Ancienne Route de GrasseCastellane is located on the route Napoléon, ex national 85, which goes from Grasse to Grenoble. Halfway between Alps and Provence, it was a passage for traders, the Mule caravans and herds transhumants thanks in particular to its bridge of the Roc, which for more than ten centuries was the only place to cross the Verdon.
A day's walk was enough to join Castellane in Grasse. Since the 1960s, the road to Grasse somewhat changed its layout since it takes a modern, wider bridge. This road very frequented by visitors connects Castellane low Provence and the Côte d'Azur.
37. Pont du RocRock bridge probably dates from the Romans even if its origin is uncertain. It was destroyed and rebuilt several times between the 11th and 15th century. Strategic point to cross the Verdon, he has been the subject of many lusts and resisted to the flooding of the river. Its construction, a canopy of a single arch stone is called donkey. A first Bailey bridge metal built in the 1960s and the current bridge dating from 1982, wider and more practical, ruled out the old traffic bridge. Site classified in 1940, the rock bridge will be the object of communal restoration work in order to restore insurance and grandeur.
(See Panel of the Parc Naturel régional du Verdon)
38. Rue de la Grave
39. Chemin des Hautes-ListesThe high lists leads to the District of lists, Provençal 'listo', which means the band. This neighbourhood was gradually won on the Verdon through construction of the dike in the 18th century. The conquered lands were then divided into narrow strips. Today, this district hosts residential houses but it was long farm through its system of irrigation, the lists canal that feeds it water. The use of water from the canal was regulated with hours of water and a metal valve system used to open and close the channel.
40. Rue des Aires
41. Place odes AiresRue de areas led on the square of the same name. Threshing areas were first on the Place Marcel Sauvaire. Thanks to the dike and land reclaimed the Verdon, the areas of - placed near the river. This vast area could be used to store the sheaves of wheat and the beasts had enough room for treading grain.
42. Chemin de la BarricadeThe Castellanais has always protected the Verdon, torrent both foster and destructive. From the 15th century, filled with stones and sand wooden chests were installed along the River in an attempt to contain in case of floods. A dyke, called "the Barricade" was then built in the 18th century. Completed in 1765 and formed of large blocks of stone, it was strong enough to contain the Verdon. It was fortified and consolidated in the 19th and 20th century. The path of the barricade along this seawall.
43. Avenue Frédéric MistralDisciple of Frédéric Mistral, Marcel Provence, great journalist Aachen, is the origin of the "seasons of the Alpine Art", feasts in honour of Provencal traditions. He initiated a movement folklore and identity in all Basses Alpes and in particular to Castellane from the 1930s. A felibreenne 'Verdoun escolo' school, studies on the ground, surveys, collections of objects and even an exhibition were hired to chronicle the history and local heritage. A Castellane, a Museum of Arts and popular Traditions almost see agenda at this time thanks to donations from the inhabitants. The circumstances are not favourable, all collections were dispersed and lost.
44. Rue du 11 Novembre
45. Rue NationaleNational Street is also called rue du Maréchal Foch and before, "Valat" rue, from the Provençal channel. Thus, it is in the rue Nationale that arrived residents of Castellane waste before flowing into the Verdon.
46. Passage des jardinsUntil recently, this passage led to the gardens and orchards meadows neighborhood. In the 19th century, a part of the district was irrigated through the construction of a canal along rue du 11 Novembre and which still exists today.
47. Place du souvenir FrançaisThe Place of remembrance French called "Place de la République. At the center of the square, the statue of Marianne, symbol of the Republic, has been replaced by the Monument to the dead, tribute to the soldiers killed in the first and second world war. The statue of Marianne is located today Place Marcel Sauvaire.
48. Boulevard Saint MichelA chapel dedicated to Saint Michel gave its name to the boulevard. Today, could not be identified in any building.
49. Placette du Grenier à BléFormerly, each community had its own reserve of wheat. This grain was loaned to the needy, with obligation to make, in the event of poor harvest caused by hail, drought or other natural disaster.
50. Passage des VisitandinesThe passage of the Visitandines along behind the convent which stood at the current library. This convent of the visitation was founded in the 17th century. It brought together young noble girls from 'good' virtue and provided them with a serious education. The convent adjacent to the time the Palace of Bishop Jean Soanen, Bishop of Senez from 1695 to 1727. Monsignor Soanen was preacher in the province and then in Paris before being appointed Bishop. He had a great reputation and became active in his diocese whose Castellane was the main town. At the end of his episcopate, he was exiled to Jansenism.
51. Chemin des VertusThe way of the virtues is a place name very frequently found in cities. This name is a phrase anti: it was mentioned in a roundabout way a place frequented by women or designated girls "of easy virtue', a place of"bad life", contrary to what one might think at first.
52. Chemin du RocThe path of the rock along the ramparts of the middle ages and misses the Tour Pentagonale. Then it winds not far from the ruins of Petra Castellana and St André door to reach 911 m altitude, at the top of the rock. The way of the cross dates from the end of the 19th century, contemporary of the construction of the Church of the Sacred Heart and takes over the course of the path of the Roc. Staked by fourteen oratories, it ends at the chapel our Lady of the rock. Traditionally, many processions mount rock each year between the two Notre Dame, the largest held for Pentecost. The Castellanais Ascend by way of the Roc to the Chapel, they then descend the statue of the 'miraculous' Virgin in Castellane, the time for celebration. Another procession, torchlight, takes place August 15.
(see the Regional Natural Park of Verdon panels installed on the course).
- Castellane Pèr carriero
- Castellane through the ages
- Cities near Castellane
- Hiking Castellane and surroundings area
- History of Castellane - Annals of Haute-Provence
- Napoleon Road
- The streets of Castellane