1 week in the Gorges du Verdon= 2 campsites to discover the richness of this incredible site
Find out more
1 week in the Gorges du Verdon= 2 campsites to discover the richness of this incredible site
Find out more
Grand Canyon du Verdon, Montdenier and Gorges de Trévans
Summary of hikingGrand Canyon: Trail Martel, Circuit of the Imbut
Montdenier: top of the Barris, the Pavilion (H2), the Montdenier peak (H3), Chapel of our Lady (H4), the flag from Venascle (H5), Summit of Montdenier (H6) from Saint-Jurs
Trévans gorges: Château de Trévans (itin. 11), Castle of Trévans from the hamlet (itin. 12), circuit from the Point of view on Trévans (itin.13), Marachare circuit (itin. 14), circuit of the Trévans gurus (itin.15)
Grand Canyon of the VerdonThe natural unit of the Grand Canyon is restricted from la Palud-sur-Verdon to the North by C.D. 952 to Rougon road; to the East, by the course of the Verdon, to the balcony of the Mescla, then the Artuby to bridge the Artuby; to the South, by C.D. 71 road until the levelness of the ravine of Mortmain; to the West, the ravine of Mortmain until la Palud-sur-Verdon.
Trail MartelAll difficulties: P2 with runs P3 and T2 (hiker medium and good hikers). Time: meaning of the description: 5 h, reverse: 5 h 15 metres in height: climb: 570 m, descent: 676 m
Mileage: 15.200 km. Features: one of the most beautiful routes of France. Every season, it presents a different but always curious attraction. Some passages are a little exposed. Provide an electric lamp for cross tunnels
Mapping: map I.G.N. n 34-42 E, 'Senez.
This route takes place in both directions, but generally it is nicer to go up the River, starting from the Mechelen, the arrival is much less painful. Provide a vehicle on arrival, or you can take a taxi (Sublime Point and the Mechelen station).
Description of the routeGîte-refuge of the Mechelen (alt.: 893 m), managed by the Club Alpin French, to reach the car park located at the North (G.R. 4). Leave the route des crêtes right take a trail to steep (P2 - P3), first to the North, bypass the ravine of beetle in corniche eastward and then southward. By a series of switchbacks, the trail runs down the slope and crosses of small rocky jumps (P2-P3-T1-T2) through a varied vegetation of boxwood, genets of Spain, pines of Austria, pubescent Oaks, holm oaks, etc. Find after a lace over a staircase facilitating the descent of the escarpment of the "Koshukova Pas" (alt.: 732 m).
• The Mechelen Chalet: 30 minutes. Down by this staircase, the trail makes successive laces in scree, then reaching a crossroads close to the bed of the Verdon. "Crossroads of the Estellie", from which comes right G.R. 99 (alt.: 554 m).
• The Koshukova no: 5 minutes. Off-route: westerly, with G.R. 99, joining the location of the former gateway of the Estellie which spanned the River to then climb on the opposite flank gorges in order to win the CD71 road riders. Point of view downstream. This bridge was swept away by the strong floods of 1994. East, take the trail amount left the right bank of the Verdon in a wonderful beech forest, dotted with Holly. The trail swings over the river and sometimes along the bottom of the cliffs, one can discover balms for shelters to bivouac, facing the high cliff jumpers (P2). Arrive in a broader and very green area "the pre of Koshukova' (willows and poplars) (alt.: 554 m).
• The crossroads of the Estellie: 25 min. The trail gradually towards the Northeast, in a strangulation of gorges "Narrow of jumpers", then rises in a rocky area and scree (P2 - T1), «The Tosks scree». After a small rating, down a rocky followed projection of a poorly stabilized Rubin. Off-route: from the top of the Rubin, can climb left and follow a ledge, "Vire aux boeufs", leading to the tunnel the Artuby or the Tosks. Reach further a great high balsam, "La Baume aux boeufs" (camping possible). After an elbow to the Southeast, to arrive at the junction of the Mescla (ALT: 592 m).
• The Pres of Koshukova: 45 minutes. Off-route: the crossroads of the Mescla, can take the trail to the right, very nice, going to the confluence of the Artuby and Verdon (alt.: 562 m) (P2).
• The crossroads of the Mescla: 15 mn. Point of view: very impressive on the high cliffs of the Artuby and the Verdon at the exit of the parade of the balms Feres. Through a trail switchbacks, ride in a corridor between two cliffs up to the breach Imbert (top of a series of metal stairs) alt.: 710 Mr. Point of view: to the right of the stairs, viewing platform overlooking the "Water Street" of the Verdon to the Chaos of the Trescaire, to the North, dominated by the gigantic cliffs of the stopovers, and, to the South, on the parade of the balms Fere and the Mescla.
Down by the metal stairs (255 steps), steep, then follow a few small laces (point of view). Go to N, often moving at the bottom of the cliffs. Pass several balms, firstly the Baume aux hirondelles then the balm for dogs and arrive at a few metres above the River to a sandy beach. The path rises through beech and Hazel;pass under the great balm of l ' Escalès, facing the cliff of the Irouelle. Further, leave left the tunnels in the ground: 'tunnel of the Barri, the rabbit Hutch and tunnel of the stops', but follow the trail overlooking the output from the chaos of the Trescaire where each area is defined by a name. First there is a dam formed by blocks where the River in seeping performs an important whirlpool: "La Turbine". Earlier, a pile of scattered block form "Coral", then the output of "Grand Narrows," preceded by a baffle between the boulders where a tensioned allows cross to Ford the river bed. Then dominate the output of the chaos of the Trescaire characterized by two monolithic towers in the torrent R.G., downstream of the locality "the turn". Leave left the tunnel of balms, and at the foot of the cliff, after having crossed an earthy part, cast by a small metal staircase leading to the exit of the tunnel of balms and at the entrance to the Trescaire tunnel further.
• The breccia Imbert: 2 h.
Cross this tunnel, long a hundred meters. Its output, one can see the downstream part of the Samson corridor, as well as the tightening of the gorges between the gigantic walls of l ' Escalès to the West and those of the Duke and the Encastel East. Very quickly, one enters the "tunnel of the Bau" with a length of 700 metres approximately, in the shape of South. Approximately 250 m from the entrance, a window allows access to a staircase leading down to the river bed, locality "Pigeons balm. Continue through the tunnel, on his release, a staircase above a small rocky projection to reach Shore Dr Verdon in the hamlet of "Le Solitaire" (alt.: 601 m) (P2 - T1). Towards the West, cross the stream of the Bau, under the jump of the Bau, by a footbridge and climb with an area a little steep (P2 - T1) to the parking lot of access to the Gorge under the Point Sublime (end of road) (alt.: 639 m).
• From the entrance to the Trescaire tunnel: 30mn.
• The refuge of the Mechelen: 4 h 30. You can reach the chalet-restaurant of the Sublime Point by a small trail (G.R. 4) which initially joined the bottom of the cliff from Sublime Point and follows the northeast then North overlooking the road. It climbs regularly in order to reach the parking lot of the Sublime Point (ALT: 787 ml.)
• The parking of the entry of Gorges: 30mn.
• The refuge of the Mechelen: 5 h. Off route and point of view: Sublime Point chalet, by a small trail, "Trail Zürcher», to the South, pass to the stele dedicated to lsodore white, and further, reach the platform offering a panoramic on the course of the Verdon. Dominate the entrance to the corridor Samson rift between impressive walls, and to the East, the flow of the river between the cliffs of Casseyre and the Eagle bar towards the South.
The Imbut circuitAll difficulties: P3 - T3, T1 passages, caters to savvy and recreational hikers.
Time: meaning of the description: 4 h, reverse: 4 hours elevation gain: ascent: 535 m, descent: 535 m
Mileage: 8,200 miles. Features: technical and sports, quite exposed but particularly beautiful route. Avoid the winter because of ice, and after heavy rainfall
Mapping: map I.G.N. No. 34-42 E, 'Senez.
Description of the routeParking of the Inn of the riders (alt.: 802 m), down slightly by C.D. 71 road, to the Northwest to bypass the hostel (private). With G.R. 99, take a path on the right, parallel to the road through boxwood and oak. Towards the top of the corridor of the Cavaliers after a few minutes. Along the top of the cliff to the Northwest, and then make a steep descent (P3 - T1) and slippery due to the polished rock. Markets have been shaped into the rock and iron bars have been installed, which can serve as a point of support, although that badly arranged (T2). The trail runs along the side of the cliff in a wet area (oak, pine), and then laces where you can begin to discover the bed of the Verdon. Halfway through, pass near a former Relay E.D.F. and reaching the River to a beach of pebbles (former drilling which was used to measure the level of the course of the river).
• Riders Inn: 30mn.
Downstream, follow the G.R. until the ancient gateway of the Estellie today swept away by the strong floods of 1994 allowing more to cross the torrent to reach the refuge of the Mechelen. Therefore continue R.G. (stele - outlined yellow). Trail stands roughly at the level of the Verdon gorges tightens, Cliff is close. See an impressive balm by its size above, and then continue towards a beech wood of a stunning size (corner of freshness during heat waves). A gradual ascent leads to approx. 20 m above the water (be careful) (P3 - T3); can a few minutes discover a semblance of trail to our left marked with a cairn, can therefore borrow it, small variant of approx. 2 mn leading slot of overhangs and rocky roofs, with stalactites and concretions of limestone in training. Along the cliff, the trail descends, then goes back to about 50 m above the Verdon, the view is striking on the parade of the gorges (our feet into the cliff, one can see a Juniperus oxycedrus dating from 2 000 to 3 000 years. Begin a descent where cables have been installed (P2 - T3). The rock is slippery and demand his attention, with small stones roll under the feet, cables were placed low enough to allow to squat. We come to the "Styx" (corridor of hell), the vegetation is lush with tall grass contrasting with the rest of the landscape. The river Styx is one of the most striking places of the gorges. In abandoning the detour of a lace to the trail, can overhang the corridor of the river Styx where one discovers a mini-canyon to mellow white rocks worked by erosion, forming pots and the basins. The Verdon is located in a narrow, between two walls. Its waters are calm on approx. 50 m.
RecommendationsIt must be extremely careful in along the exposed (T3); We are at 15 m above the bed, and the fall would be brutal, although it can be assumed that there is depth. Halfway through, it is possible to pass under a rock which mask us the passage, Crouch, crawl a little and out 1 m away. Then achieve the "Manny" (bad Ford) with its chaos of blocks (T3), very nice place for a picnic. This site is fabulous, under a large canopy, the Verdon takes its course and water and light reflections are superb, little current, possibility to swim. The trail goes back in (R.G.) Escarpment where it remains surprised by his progress. Overhanging ledge on approx. 50 m, cable installed throughout and held by large sealed rings. The vire is approx. 70 cm wide, surmounted by an overhanging barrier. Make this golf course approx. 20 m above the water.
Halfway through, we unknowingly just below the corridor Vidal, special attention is requested due to any falling stones caused by hikers who through (avoid therefore all parking at this location).
Achieve an excavation equipped with a string serving as a handrail, the trail is banked and a little slippery, switch grip and help arm tipped chain to make a crossing of 1.5 m approx (no danger). The trail resumes through boxwood and oak, and rises significantly to the intersection of the trail Vidal.
• Access to the River: 1 h 30.
"Off-route: leave the rise by the Vidal trail and continue the progression downstream. The Verdon is no longer visible and it is through the trees to sneak. Trail is in balcony in places, no difficulty, should climb over a trunk and further strongly down, the land is eroded and roots are crosswise; inconvenient, be vigilant (T2), a crossing earthen trickier (P3 - T3), requiring much attention. Achieve the "Imbut" (funnel). Beach of pebbles, but strong flow in the river. The Imbut is reported as end of trail. You might think, at this point the Verdon disappears under a chaos of blocks. However, it is possible to continue beyond mid-blocks. Escalation and de-escalation easy (T3 - T1, East). Cross a rocky mound, the route may seem difficult, however, should demonstrate vigilance and imagination. Good gym. It is best to stand on the left to reach the superb "Baù Beni" (end of trail) (white traces made with the hammer). It remains only to return to the trail Vidal.
The rise of the Vidal trail is steep and impressive. A staircase spiral staircase is carved in the rock (if one can call this line "stairs"), with a handrail tilted right on approx. 30 m height difference. It is then the Hall where pieces of wood have been planted to prevent erosion. The trail is progressing rapidly in laces tight and very steep (P3 - T1). Move to a cave in varied colours, limestone concretions; further, a narrow scree leads us to the scales of the top of the corridor. First, a straight scale, then turn to approx. 15 to 20 m, a second scale of 5 to 6 m allows us to get out on the plateau where we join the C.D. 71 road (alt.: 839 m).
• The bottom of the corridor Vidal: 45 min.
• Riders Inn: 2 h 45.
You can return to the parking lot of the hostel of the riders:
• either by road (without interest);
• either crossing the road, and by a straight path staked yellow, through woods and brooms to the Southwest, join the route No. V2, left, southeasterly.Follow him to the hostel of the riders (1 h).
The circuit total: 3 h 4 h 45.
MontdenierThe natural unit of Montdenier is limited to the West from la Palud-sur-Verdon by road then the forest path joining the n the col de Saint-Jurs; to the North, by the track reaching East farm of Levens; to the East, by C.D. 17 if leader to Rougon. to the South, by C.D. 952 up to la Palud-sur-Verdon road.
Top of the Barris (H1) (1,143 M)All difficulties: P2 (for walkers). Time: meaning of the description: 15 mn, reverse: 15 minutes elevation: climb: 129 m, descent: 0 m
Mileage: 0.800 km. Features: point of pleasant view atop a short, easy route. Can be done all year round
Mapping: map I.G.N. n 34-42 E, 'Senez.
Description of the routeLa Palud-sur-Verdon (alt.: 833 m), to reach the col de Croix de Château-neuf, then, approx. 1 km more far, a sparse zone (alt.: 1,014 m).
Engage on the Southeast by a small path through a pine forest of pins in brackets. The coast is regular, it are more than traces which lead us to the top of the Barris (alt.: 1,143 m) (GEODESIC signal).
Châteauneuf plan: 15 mn. Point of view: very nice and extended throughout the circus the Mourre de Chanier, but to the South, on the gorges of the Verdon.
The Pavilion (1,625 m) from Châteauneuf-les-Moustiers (H2)
All difficulties: P2 with passage T1 (average hikers) time: meaning of the description: 3 h 15, reverse: 2 h 45 metres in height: climb: 337 m, descent: 55 m
Mileage: 8,600 km. Features: unique belvedere in the country of the Verdon. A carry out preferably from September to June. In winter, the Summit can be done on skis
Cartography: 14, map I.G.N. n 34-42 W, "Moustiers-Ste-Marie" and no. 34-42 E, 'Senez.
Description of the routeLa Palud-sur-Verdon, to reach by road C.D. 123, the bifurcation of the farm of Maubec (alt.: 1,038 m), possibility of parking.
Right path of Earth rising between boxwood and sparse broom by a few pubescent. After a shoelace, to reach the ruins of the village of Châteauneuf marked at the entrance by an oratory where was sealed inside the memorial for the victims of the village during the war of 1914. Reach behind the ruins the collar of Châteauneuf (alt.: 1,155 m).
• Maubec farm: 15 mn. Sights: ruins of the village of Châteauneuf, only sections of walls are still standing, often covered with climbing and often aggressive vegetation. This village was abandoned due to lack of water. Leave the trail that descends to the Northwest to track westward. Pass left a ruin and then climb by the rump of the Hill on a small rocky path (P2 - T1) that leads to a plateau. Move towards the N then Northwest. Great Cairn. It is located on the foothill of the crete (alt.: 1245 m).
• Châteauneuf-les-moustiers: 40 min. To the Northwest, follow the trail; climb a small hill which gives access to the ridge. Browse it by dominating the escarpments of the rocks of Notre-Dame, Northeast, switch to double-pointed Summit (alt.: 1 325 m and 1 326 m), separated by a collar (alt.: 1 319 m).Mount on the rump through boxwood, chasm to the left, and a rabbit Hutch reach the Summit, 1 441 m, then after a depression, alt. 1 462 m (P2) point.
• Of the great Cairn: 40 minutes. Down collar gay then mount side alt.: 1,479 m. after a short depression, reach the coast 1 496 m. a slight slope to reach the end of forest road of the Montdenier (alt.: 1,458 m) (P2).
• Item 1 462 m: 40 minutes. This path to the Northwest, along the side of the top of the flag, on approx. 1,500 km to the collar of the flag (alt.: 1,520 m) (P1).
• Access to the track: 30mn. Towards the rump to the West where it meets route coming in the opposite direction. With this route, winning the top of the flag (alt.: 1,625 m) (P2).
• The Montdenier forest trail: 30 minutes.
• Maubec farm: 3 hours.
Return: by the same route in the direction reverses: 2 h 45 (either total: 6 h). * By the H5 route towards reverse: 2 h 15 (either total: 5 h 30).
Crest of the Montdenier (1,750 M) from Châteauneuf-les-Moustiers (H3)All difficulties: P2 - P3 with passages T1 (for sports tourers).
Time: meaning of the description: 6 h 15, reverse: 5 hours elevation gain: climb: 882 m, descent: 602 m mileage: 16,400 km. Features: panorama along the ridges.Course rather painful and long with some difficulties.
A counselor the spring and autumn. The winter, it can be done on cross-country skis.
Mapping: map I.G.N. n 34-42 W, "Moustiers-Sainte-Marie", n 34-42 E 'Senez.
Description of the routeLa Palud sur Verdon, as for the route n H2, join the bifurcation of Maubec by C.D. 123 (possible parking) (alt.: 1,038 m). Always with this route, win the collar (alt.: 1,520 m) on the forest trail to the Montdenier (P2, T1).
• Maubec parking: 2 h 45. If away from the track to the right by a small rump, passing left a shepherd's hut and reach other 1,561 Mr. continue North, the trail bends slightly then goes back to the Rocky area of mouth-soft. Wear on the western flank, and join side 1,641 Mr. under the crest, always western slope down to the rabbit Hutch of the Clot of King (alt.: 1,563 m) (P2).
• The Montdenier forest trail: 30 minutes. Move towards the Northwest in order to spend in rubbles in a rocky area, the route is pretty exposed and rugged (P2 - T1). Reach the peak after the 1,681 m tip and continue sawtooth course ridges quite straight from first over a stratification of vertical slats to the East, then by pointements sometimes in edge, sometimes forming domes, separated by saddles often hipped broad offering of small pastures. Gradually rising to the top of the Montdenier (alt.: 1,750 m) (geodetic point). Small summary construction (P2 - T1) H6 happens in front).
• The King's Clot: 2 h. curiosities: in the spring, along the way, you will encounter a rich alpine flora such as forget-me-not, spring gentian, the Tulip of Cels, etc.
With the route n H6 in reverse, as well as a yellow path, descend into pastures, after a break of slope, follow drailles to the collar of Bourges. Towards the East, under the rocky ridge of Bourges, walk along a small path in a pine forest aleps and black pine, then deviate to the right by a small trace East joining a good path.Northward, crossing a wonderful undergrowth lined grass dotted with spring of a magnificent flowering orchids-dominated, and join the forest track to the Montdenier (alt.: 1 452 m) (P2).
• From the top of the Montdenier: 40 Mr. right, follow the trail to the W then North-West to the col de Saint-Jurs (alt. 1 318 m) (barrier and tank on the right, before reaching the pass).
• Access to the track: 20 minutes.
Total of the crossing: 6 h 15.
Chapel Notre-Dame (H4)All difficulties: P1 - P2 (for the caves: T3) (for pedestrians)
Time: meaning of the description: 0 h 30, reverse: 0 hrs unevenness: climb: 127 m, descent: 60 m
Mileage: 1,950 km. Features: unique curiosity for a journey short. Can be done all year round
Mapping: map I.G.N. n 34-42 E, 'Senez.
Description of the routeLa Palud-sur-Verdon, join the farm of Maubec (alt.: 1,038 m) possibility of parking. With the itin. n H2, win the ruins of Chateauneufles-Moustiers (alt.: 1,155 m).
• Maubec farm: 15 mn. Continue along Carter Road northwestward after the cemetery (orange trace of the horse). It falls regularly, and as soon as one reaches the first jump rock (rock of N.-D.), circumvent it slightly. A small path starts left to the S, by laces, join the bottom of two large superimposed caves. By carved markets and between walls, access to the first cave; the small chapel of n.-d. is right by entering (alt.: 1 115 m).
• Châteauneuf-les-moustiers: 15 mn.
• The farm of Maubec: 0 h 30. Curiosity: great very deep cave, right, small chapel shaped ass of oven. At the extreme bottom of the cave, by crawling under the arch, you feel a stream of air from the upper cave. There's a hose to the ceiling which can be accessed in climbing. So, it is advisable to be equipped with an electric lamp to cross this hose and possibly for less insiders to climbing have a rope for insurance. The cave, as deep as the previous one, has a low wall on the outside edge. In the interstices, many nests of swallows.
The Pavilion (1625 m) from Venascle (H5)All difficulties: P2, with passages P3 and T1 (for average hikers). Time: meaning of the description: 3 h 30, reverse: 3.5 hours elevation gain: climb: 715 m, descent: 715 m
Mileage: 11,100 km. Features: very nice pastoral circuit. A perform preferably in spring and fall
Mapping: map I.G.N. No. 34-42 W, "Moustiers-Sainte-Marie.
Description of the routeJoin the farm of Venascle along the track of Châteauneuf-les-Moustiers going to Ségriès by the plateau of Barbin.
The farm of Venascle (alt.: 940 m) (possibility of parking 750 m north of the farm, alt.: 969 m), follow the trail of the ravine of the Cine which rises eastward (yellow line). Pass between the nipple of the Belle-stone in the North and TOC de Jean Long to the South. The ravine tightens and the trail enters Rocky bottlenecks in order to reach the ruins of the Clos of charity in a sinkhole (alt.: 1 385 m), Southeast (P2-P3-T1).
• Venascle Trail: 1 h. By a wide rump, in some fields, rising to the Southeast, by a small path followed by small often interrupted traces (cairns). At the ALT.: 1,510 m, towards the South and proceed to a fore Summit (alt.: 1 606 m), after a collar (alt.: 1,591 m), climb the last Hill leading to the top of the flag (alt.: 1,625 m) (P2 - P3) (cairn, geodetic Terminal).
• The ruins of the clos of charity: 1 h.
• Venascle track: 2 h. return to the collar (alt.: 1,591 m) West, by the side of the mountain, passing close to the depression of the Marmot hole, down to the saddle of the thatch of the lambs, then northward, reaching the sheepfold (alt.: 1 463 m) (P2 - P3).
• From the top of the flag: 15 mn. Bypass to the W, ruins of the sheepfold (alt.: 1,414 m), a small path leads to the S. Tight laces back to the W, and by a valonnement, join the farm of Venascle (alt.: 940 m) (P2).
• The sheep of the thatch of the lambs: 1 h. work around the farm of Venascle from the North, a Carter N path back to the parking (alt.: 969 m) (P1).
• Of Venascle: 15 mn.
The circuit total: 3 h 30.
Return: * by the H2 route in the opposite direction: 2 h 45 (either total: 5 h).
Top of the Montdenier (1750 m) from the col de Saint-JursAll difficulties: P2, with passages T1 (for smaller hikers)
Time: meaning of the description: 1 h 15, reverse: 1 hour elevation: ascent: 440 m, descent: 8 m
Mileage: 3,100 miles. Features: small hike leading to a beautiful panorama. A perform preferably in spring and autumn. Very early in the morning, summer
Mapping: map I.G.N. n 34-42 W, "Moustiers-Sainte-Marie.
Description of the routeThe Col de Saint-Jurs (alt.: 1,318 m), with a yellow path, take the forest track by Montdenier (barrier and tank left). It regularly rises to an elbow right (1,200 km approx. to the col de St-Jurs). During the climb through a forest of pines aleps and boxwood, left out one pretty little Cabana overlooking a clearing.
• The Col de Saint-Jurs: 25 min.
Leave the track to follow a small path left across a beautiful pine wood. The course is lined grass dotted with many small flowers in the spring where orchids dominate. Approx. 200 m further, leave the trail to mount by a small path on the right (yellow trace - be vigilant for not to miss this bifurcation), and come whacked on a transversal path (P2). Take it to the left through a pine forest aleps and black pine trees. It is dominated right through the rocky ridge of Bourges which one reaches a collar in its extension.
• The forest track: 20 minutes.
Left, climbing to the is in a landslide, then in drailles to sheep on a tormented and sometimes steep terrain (P2 - T1) to achieve rupture aside where spreads in front of vast pastures dotted with forget-me-nots, gentians, Cels tulips and how many other flowers in the spring. Cross these pastures up to the peak that we follow right towards South-South-East to the top of the Montdenier (alt.: 1,750 m). Geodetic point. Small summary construction stone.
• Bourges collar: 30 minutes.
• The Col de Saint-Jurs: 1 h 15 (route No. H3 arrives in front).
The Agra SummitDifficult, 5 h 30 walk, 830 m of vertical drop, yellow markup, departing from Saint-Jurs.
At the beginning of the summer, until lavandins and wheats are cut, a patchwork spread at the foot of the Montdenier.
• Enter the village of Saint-Jurs right Street, passing in front of the Town Hall and school. At the intersection, continue straight. At the crossroads (oratory), mount the left. At the crossroads located above the wash-house (fountain), turn right. Pass in front of the "House of the fournier", a path extends the alley.It rises below the Church of the village, and then ruins, to lead on the road to the col Saint-Jurs. Take it on the left on a twenty meter Eaubonne hairpin on the right. Climb up a path where isolated cabin of splits. Continue on the left ramp. Follow the road to the left, on the rise. At height of the tank entering the forest of the Montdenier. A little further to the right, take a parallel path. At the fork, continue straight.
• New fork, take to the right, and then later, right again. At the next intersection cut the track Demandols, closed to traffic. Out again on the road to the pass.Borrow a short while keeping the same direction, and then continue straight on. Ignore two departures from trailed in left hand. Later go to the right and exit once ultimate of the pass road. Continue to climb along the trail in front.
Continue in the same direction. Win a collar. New fork.
• To climb to the top of Agra, take left. End of a gully, the path continues his ascension in the adroit to Agra, by performing wide hairpin bends sometimes short, sometimes under the pine trees. Lead in crete. After passing mirador, down right in the direction of the wooded collar. In the collet, turn left. The trail leads to a forest track. Take the opposite path. At the bottom of a small ravine, left down and lead to the path to the begerie of the glue. Continue to the left. Miss a (DFCI) tank. Lead on the forest trail of Levens. Take it on the left up to the col de Saint-Jurs.
• Continue on the access road to the pass. The edge of the pine forest, turn left. At the fork, go left to find a cross referenced above. Continue straight to the collar and away from the route of the Agra Summit. Continue straight until the forest road of Mouresse. Take it to the left onto 700 m approximately. At the crossroads, turn right on the Pisa closed to traffic «except services» Snaring it divides. Take the first left. Just after the plot of loading, use the left-hand path. Crossbreed: left. Ford cross the ravine. Longer latter in left bank and then at the junction turn right towards the partly ruined building. Continue to the left. The road splits: go to the right. Join the Mouresse ravine. Balene Creek walk across it Ford. On the right bank, join the lands of Negaras.
• A road extends the trail. It passes below a first ruin, then upstream of a second. At two intersections: all right. Before the track changes of slope, turn right.Down, crossing two ravines, and continue straight. Leave this road and turn right, and a few meters further on the left.
• Continue straight on the crosses, the village of Saint-Jurs appears.
The Trévans gorgesThe natural unit of Trévans is limited to the West from Saint-Jurs northward to Estoublon vicinal road; to the North, by the gorges of the Estoublaisse until the no stopover. to the East, by C.D. 17 up to Majastres and Levens. to the South by the runway joining the col de Saint-Jurs, then road to Saint-Jurs.
Trévans Castle from the farm by the de Castro (11)All difficulties: P2 (for smaller hikers) time: meaning of the description: 1 h, reverse: 45 min elevation: climb: 254 m
Mileage: 2,100 km. Features: very pleasant course in the forest. Can be attended throughout the year
Mapping: map I.G.N. n 34-41 W, 'worthy '.
Description of the routeThe village of Estoublon, follow Highway C.D. 667 approx. 2,700 km, facing the farm by the de Castro (alt.: 562 m). Possibility to park on the coast south of the road. With a yellow path, cross the stream of the Estoublaisse by a footbridge built in logs. Environment of poplars and Alder. A small trail immediately rises (P2) across pins black, pubescent and boxwood. An equestrian brand spreads to right. Continue South to left (R.D.) of the ravine of Pierre Grosse, soon the trail perform many small laces, which allows to gain quick altitude, to moving gradually toward the East. Lead to a wide path (alt.: 772 m).
• The farm by the de Castro: 40 minutes. Walk this way right to the Southeast through woodland and reaching a very beautiful pinewood of Aleppo pines, as well as the ruins of the castle of Trévans (alt.: 816 ml (refuge de l'O.)N.C.)
• Access to the path: 20 minutes.
• The farm by the de Castro: 1 h. curiosities: the ruins of the Castle are covered in large part Ivy. Attached to these ruins, the small hut of the O.N.C., opened, but not guarded; It offers the ability to host a dozen people. A fireplace allows the grill; It is furnished only to 3 banks. Behind the refuge: source and great basin surrounded by alder, charcoal, cherry, lime trees and acacias.
Return: by the same route in inv. sense: 0 h 45 (either total: 1 h 45)-* by the route No. 12 in inv. meaning: 0 h 45 (either total: 1 h 45).
Trévans Castle from the hamlet of TrévansAll difficulties: P2 (for smaller hikers). Time: meaning of the description: 1 h, reverse: 0 h 45 metres in height: climb: 218 m
Mileage: 2,400 km. Features: beautiful journey through a very pretty wood. Can be walked all year round.
Mapping: map I.G.N. n 34-41 W, 'worthy '.
Description of the routeThe village of Estoublon, follow Highway C.D. 667, on approx. 5 km. Parking in an elbow before reaching the hamlet of Trévans (alt.: 598 m).
Take the dirt road heading East, dating back the torrent on the Estoublaisse. The cross on a small concrete bridge; lies before a backdrop of the O.N.C., at the edge of the forest (alt.: 601 m).
• Parking: 5 minutes. Right to the Southwest, with a red trace, climb a small path winding through a pine forest, then under a guise of Strip, very nice (P2), to arrive at the edge of a wooded plateau: "Plain of la Condamine" (alt.: 752 m).
• The bridge over the Estoublaisse: 40 mins. Always towards the South-West, cross at about level in an understory of pines of Aleppo and FIR mixed with the dense forest of pubescent boxwood and broom. Lead to a good path to approx. 50 m from the ruins of Trévans Castle, which is located on the right (alt.: 816 m) (yellow line).
• Access to the edge of the plain of la Condamine: 15 mn.
• The hamlet of Trévans: 1 h.
Return: by the same route in direction reverse: 0 h 45 (either total: 1 h 45)-by route 11 in reverse: 0 h 45 (either total: 1 h 45).
Circuit from the point of view on TrévansAll difficulties: P2 (for average hikers) time: meaning of the description: 3 h, reverse: 3 h
Elevation difference: mounted: 408 m, descent: 408 m
Mileage: 8,100 miles. Features: fabulous circuit through a varied vegetation. Can be done all year round
Mapping: map I.G.N. n 34-41 W, 'worthy '.
Description of the routeThe village of Estoublon, follow Highway C.D. 667, on approx. 5 km. Parking in an elbow before reaching the hamlet of Trévans (parking) (alt.: 598 m).
With route 12, to reach the ruins of the castle of Trévans (alt.: 816 m).
• The hamlet of Trévans: 1 h. continue with the red trace by a good road for approx. 200 m; a green path deviates to the left by a narrower path (alt.: 850 m).
• The ruins of the castle of Trévans: 5 minutes. Walk this way northward through a forest of pubescent. It tilts to the Northeast; This is more than a trail through the broom and the buis which regularly amounts to the East (P2). After a clear area, go down in the Woods on the edge of an Escarpment. Follow it up slightly, and then by a horizontal path, reaching the rump of Coste hot Hill at a place called Cubercelas (alt.: 976 m)
• From the beginning of the green path: 40 minutes. Point of view: in deviating to the left, stand on a rocky promontory where a magnificent view is offered to you on the Valley of the Estoublaisse, the village of Trévans where the medieval ruins dominate the new constructions, and as a backdrop, the mountains shredded de Beynes.
• Follow route 14 in reverse, on the left, towards South-South-East, down regularly in a maple-beech forest to the intersection for the Turquet, where a yellow trace is left (alt.: 840 m).
• From the point of view of Cubercelas: 30 mins. Leave the Green trace, go ahead and follow the yellow trail down quite brutally through the Woods to the North. It performs a hook to cross the ravine of Turquet, then it is through a more gentle slope that we walk on a hillside to bypass further down a rocky hilltop (alt.: 796 m).
• The bifurcation of Turquet: 15 mn. The trail weaves between escarpments making shoelaces very stiff and tight, in order to achieve the Estoublaisse R.G..Follow it through shrubs; bypass to the West under a ledge, a red trace arrives (end of the yellow trace) right.
• Rocky rump (alt.: 796 m): 15 minutes. With it, pass a source and approx. 100 m later, arriving at the sign of the O.N.C., cited at the outset, to the bridge over the Estoublaisse.
• The arrival of the red trace: 10 minutes. With the departure route, joining the parking of Trévans (alt.: 598 m). -The bridge on the Estoublaisse: 5 minutes.
The circuit total: 3 h.
Marachare circuit (14)All difficulties: P2, T1 East passages. (for good hikers)
Time: meaning of the description: 5 h 15, reverse: 5 h 15 metres in height: climb: 551 m, descent: 551 m. mileage: 14,800 miles. Features: very beautiful circuit varied with rich vegetation. Can be done all year round
Cartography: maps I.G.N. n 34-42 W, "Moustiers-Ste-Marie", and n 34-42 E, 'Senez.
Description of the routeAt the col de Saint-Jurs, possible parking (alt.: 1 318 million). To the East, follow the trail of the O.N.C. sloping down towards a carrefour 200 m more far away (tank D.F.C.I. 100 m on the right). A red trace deviates left to travel a parallel path to the track through a wood of larches, pines of Austria and boxwood. After approx. 1,500 km, reaching a wide path (alt.: 1 270 m) (P1).
• The Col de Saint-Jurs: 25 min. Borrow it from left (always with the red trace), exceed two pins and lie at the bottom of the ravine of Mayaiche (alt.: 1,247 m) (P1 - P2).
• The wide path: 5 minutes. To the Northwest, follow a grassy path. At a fork, turn right in direction of Valbonnette (Panel) and reach 150 m below the ruins of Mayaiche (alt.: 1 212 m) (P2).
• The ravine of Mayaiche: 10 minutes. Curiosity: ruins, it remains suspended beams. Below, left, in the hollow of the Valley, a large basin with a particularly clear water. Follow a small path first balcony above the ravine, then in a magnificent forest of beech trees, in order to reach the crossroads where a trail going to the Tuff bridge stands right, accompanied by a green path (alt.: 865 m) (P2).
• The ruins of Mayaiche: 1 h. make a hook to the left, pass in front of a magnificent ruin where a cylindrical pillar supports a beam, and reach the bed of the ravine of Mayaiche (alt.: 807 m). Abandon the red path to the right which goes along the ravine to reach Valbonnette hut. Mount on the other side by a path drawn in green, passing between ruins surrounded by Cedars, and gradually westward, detach in corniche in rising regularly to an intersection where arrive a yellow path. Crossroads of the Turquet (alt.: 840 m) (P2) (itin. No. 13 arrives in the face and spreads to right).
• The ravine of Mayaiche: 30 mins. Right leave the yellow trace, and mount left with route No. 13 N-North-West in a maple-beech forest whose soil is sometimes dotted with beautiful columbines and Solomon seals. Reach a peak of bow-shaped mountain where 40 m right the wonderful belvedere of Cubercelas (alt.: 976 m) (route No. 13 and a red trace deviate to the right). Point of view: the view spreads left to the village of Estoublon Asse Valley. A right, the mountains of Beynes. To: the ruins of the chapel of St-André atop a hill in sugar loaf. At our feet, the Estoublaisse Creek.
• The crossroads of the Tourquet: 30mn. It is located at a junction, the path turns sharply to the Southwest in the direction of the cottage of Trévans. A small trail form the bisector of the angle of the path, rises towards the South (yellow line). Take this small trail, most bare, approx. 900 m later, it performs brutally a hook northwesterly and then bypasses the Coste-hot tops into a cup and a track recent (alt.: 1,038 m) in a wood of larches and pines to hooks.
• From the viewpoint of Cubercelas: 1 h. The yellow Cup trace track and the following above, first parallel and departs for then the jouxter to an elbow (alt.: 998 m) at a place called "Les Beluguettes".
• Track: 30mn. A red trace arriving right cut the track, follow it upstream (left), rising a little arid land, then in undergrowth studded with strawberries until you reach the crossroads of the track and the road connecting Saint-Jurs Saint-Jurs-necked (alt.: 1,222 m).
• The yellow trace: 35 min. By the track, first to the North, then South, joining the col de Saint-Jurs (alt.: 1 318 million).
• Access to the road: 30mn.
The circuit total: 5 h 15.
The Gurus of Trévans circuit (15)All difficulties: P2 - P3 with passages T1. Time: meaning of the description: 5 h, reverse: 5 h. Elevation difference: mounted: 451 m, descent: 451 m
Mileage: 11,800 km. Features: exceptional circuit with its beauty and diversity: wild nature. Can be done all year round
Mapping: map I.G.N. n 34-41 W, 'worthy '.
Description of the routeC.D. 907 road towards Digne, take the small road C.D. 17 North Estoublon, approx. 10 km, moving towards the hamlet of Majastre. This road is very narrow, passes the col de la Croix, traverses the mountainside of Beynes, and then follows the fault of Pas de L'Escale, which gives the feeling of sinking into the deep France. Possibility of parking, either after the bridge of Pas de L'Escale, or 1 km before this bridge on the shoulders of the road. This departure that you want to perform.
1st possibility of departure: the Roman bridge, half a mile downstream from the bridge of the stopover (Panel) (alt: 885 m)
A good trail descends through boxwood and oak by performing a few switchbacks that lead to the Roman bridge spanning the ravine of Pas de L'Escale (alt.: 805 m) (P2).
• Road: 15 minutes. Pass on the other side (R.G.) and rise towards the Southwest on a trail in the pier - funeral and the boxwood. A trace in a scree slope (arrival of the 2nd possibility). By a regular side, ride in the woods of Aleppo pines, Oaks, maples, hazels, lime trees, broom, boxwood, whose soil is dotted with seals of Solomon, cotinus, Lily, Columbine, etc., and reach the collar of Saint-André (alt.: 848 m) (P2).
• The Roman Bridge: 45 min.
2nd possibility of departure: bridge of Pas de L'Escale (was: 886 m)
Follow the road for approx. 100 m downstream to a rock and a pole to the left. By a trace, down to the ravine (P3 - T1). Cross it and climb a rock upstream (P3 - T2). Rise above on a very steep slope (P3) under a power line, in order to reach a former corniche trail we guess barely under escarpments. Towards West, then Southwest, browse this trail at best, and, after laces supported by old walls, down in a congested area of vegetation, followed by a small scree which leads to the trail from the Roman bridge (T2 East.). With it, reach the collar of St-André (alt.: 848 m).
• The bridge of Pas de L'Escale: 1 h 15. Off-route: a small trail rises right to the ruins of the chapel Saint André, which only the walls remain standing (P2): 10 minutes. Towards the South, with a yellow path, engaging in a wooden cornice above the Estoublaisse (R.D.). "Enter Trévans Gorges". A path happens to right (red trace), go right a chasm, by location, the wood is cut by particularly steep scree. Gradually, down to the bed of the river which is crossed on a rotten bridge to reach the refuge of Valbonnette located on the other shore (alt.: 752 m) (R.G.).
• The Saint-André Collet: 40 minutes. Equipment: open shelter, no comfort, but good shelter.
From the hut, 2 options:
1. by the bottom of the Gorge: A trace back the bed of the River on the right (R.G.). If there is not too much water, no problem, you can even mount in the throat until the bridge of Tuff. There is plenty of water, snippets of paths through the flank of the Hill and a lock, climb a very steep trace on the flank (R.G.) through a very dark wood sometimes frequented by vipers, on a vertical drop of 80 to 100 m, in order to reach a cross trail (green trace) (P3) at the bottom of cliffs. (Michel Simon, author of hiking in Haute-Provence, cited this passage from "masochism in the pure State") (alt.: 850 m). From the refuge de Valbonnette: 45 minutes.
2. From the refuge de Valbonnette, continue by the red path to the Northwest, then South along the ravine of Mayaiche. At a fork (green trace and Panel Tuff bridge), take left in the corniche and the arrival of the 1st option at the bottom of cliffs (alt.: 850 m) (P2). From the refuge de Valbonnette: 45 minutes. With this Green trace, browse these escarpments (P3-11) in balcony above the ravine, pass on ceiling rails in helping a handrail and down to the River at the bridge of Tuff (alt.: 806 m).
• Junction: 45 min. Curiosity: natural arch in tufa formed by the high humidity. In addition to the river which flows into a cave and under the bridge, a waterfall flows above. Downstream, many pots form swirls. Corner of pleasant freshness. Climb a rocky passage on approx. 50 m (P2 - T1) then switchbacks.Achieve a more arid area leading to the enough cashed Festoon ravine with a succession of potholes that may offer a little bath. (ALT: 918 m).
• Tuff deck: 20 minutes. Follow the bed of the ravine to the Northeast, then the N, go to the ruin of the Blaches, poplars on the right; the path then rises on the western edge of the Woods to a ridge of roubines (alt.: 1,016 m) (P2). Cross the ridge by traces of roubines, and then by a small path, get off at view to the Jas wholesale farm (alt.: 914 m) (P2). Passage of the C.D. 17 road.
• The ravine of the scallop: 1 h. By the road to the left, reach the bridge of the stopover in 15 minutes or access to the Roman bridge in 30 minutes.
The circuit total: 5 h.
- Recommendations for the hiker in the Verdon
- Vallongue-Fer, la Combe, Maurouès, Plaine de Barènes, Plaine de Maton and Moustiers-Sainte-Marie
- Beynes Mountain, Vibres Mountain, Mourre de Chanier-Chiran
- Pioulet-Berbène, Pré-Chauvin-Bandis, Le Breis, Robion
- Wood Siounet, Jabron Valley, Mountains Destourbes and Brouis, The Margès, Le Bas-Verdon and the Great Hiking of Verdon Gorge
- Easy hikes near by the Verdon
- Gorges du Verdon by bike
- GR footpath in Verdon Gorge
- Hikes in Haute-Provence
- Hikes near by the Verdon
- MTB in Haute-Provence
- Skiing, hiking and biking near by the Ubaye and Gorges du Verdon