1 week in the Gorges du Verdon= 2 campsites to discover the richness of this incredible site
Find out more
Recommendations for the hiker in the Verdon
There are numerous books dealing with hiking in Verdon, of the most ancient as from the most recent. Here is one dating from 2002, which describes with many details the walks and hikes that can be done in the country of the Verdon. Others will follow.
Note to hikersThe practice of hiking should not dispense of regulations or prohibitions reported on the ground.
Between the time where routes have been developed and where you are hiking, regulations and prohibitions could be changed, new panels could be implanted, you must consider.
Discover the Verdon..."I like the mysterious sounds of fields and forests, water and mountains." Jan Sibelius.
Between the eternal snows of the Alps and the Provence hills, country Verdon belongs to subalpine arc of the limestone Alps from the South. Country hinge, Wonderland thousand contrasts which shivers the winter, who exudes the summer climate soft and hard both, pine forests of larch, thorny and deciduous - flora in the strong aromatic scents and perfumes lightweight crowns fauna of the garrigues, waters and pastures - tumultuous torrents waterfalls and ravines often drained by strong heat - deep gorges unusual and pointed sharp rising to the heavens - succulent honey odorsacrid aftertaste of buis - pastel spring colors dominated by a sky of azurite, flamboyant images of autumn under intense and limpid from infinity ermine blue winter, carpet of Golden wheats summer... Everything is here to marry the Mediterranean to the mountain environment.
The country of the Verdon is rude, men are constantly struggling against the elements: the severity of the winter, the gullies of water, the oppressive heat of summer...
Charles Ferdinand Ramuz, famous writer vaudois, wrote: "It is what the country has done to us." The easier life of the plain and the low valleys created an interior verdonnien; the mysterious landscape of the mountains and its natural phenomena have dictated a harder and more sensitive soul in the Highlander. But the plain people and people from up there, all remain hospital.
.. .and its inhabitantsYou, Plowman, engraved face and deep eyes whose gaze Panzergrenadier without stopping, you whose spine is vaulted by decades of toil, you knew retain the nobility of your Earth, turning, while the smoking, harvesting, as your ancestors did. You go back down to the farm of a not slow, steady, stopping occasionally to look at the extent of this natural wealth which purifies your soul...Loggers, forest, who return from the forest a not heavy and sometimes hesitant, shoulder crushed by the weight of the axe, the temples swollen by the hard work of the day...And you so herdsmen, shepherds of our mountains, supported on your big stick in the middle of grazing in the tall grass fragrant and soft, invaded million flowers. You who meditate in the serenity and the quintessential evening at dusk, with the last rays of the star's light that slowly sinking behind the high lofty peaks of the planet, and the shadow is already spread in the hollow of the Valley, from which rise the last bell sounds announcing the Compline. The herd then undermines any solemnity in a concert of bells, that transports the wind, and whose vibration penetrate up to our heart...
Is this not you who are perpetuating the ancestral tradition of the pastoral life? Is this not you also who made the country of Verdon?
ForewordThe Verdon country is a vast natural area located north of Provence between the alpine foothills and the Mediterranean basin. It extends courses of the Verdon and the Artuby to Asse River, forming a huge triangle. This set is divided into 22 natural units often dissimilar, offering all diversities imaginable. Sometimes quiet and peaceful adventure playground, but also very severe. In the last century, only farmers, loggers, hunters and shepherds frequented this country. This is what early 20th century that the taste of discovery develops among a few adventurers who came cities, the pioneers of hiking, that the "country of the Verdon" should begin to be traveled in every direction.
For a quarter of a century, this practice is popularized. In the past, hikers fell within associations of hikers, where coaching defined them principles of conduct.Today, non-organized individuals, but having the same aspirations attend the natural environment. Among them, there are discovering for the first time these unusual places, either accidentally, or motivated by friends or media effects; It is for them that it is good to enact practical information of integration, where an amount negligible advice and warnings warning practical, educational and technical that can sometimes result from common sense, but that cannot be repeated.
We compared to most existing hiking guides, we addressed three main objectives that consider us essential:
1. Security: it appears paramount; We have therefore placed all the technical and educational recommendations in the foreground of your concerns by creating a scale of difficulties at two levels.
2. The natural environment: emphasis is placed on its protection and better knowledge.
3. Rural: through the development of Commons associated with the areas described in the guide.
To conclude, all routes were travelled by the authors taking into account these three objectives. Hence, at the beginning of the book, a significant amount of information and warnings warning practices and techniques. Hiking associations, most trade unions of initiatives and the public authorities carried out in recent years a very important outreach effort for the preservation of the natural heritage, and help the development of the activities of hiking.
And now, in the cool of the morning, you can go on trails of adventure until dusk, will fill your lungs with fresh air, your eyes of mysterious images and your heart of memories that make the value of life.
The geographical situation of the VerdonThe country of the Verdon is part of the limestone Alps of South. It is located on the Department of the Alpes de Haute-Provence. Only the southern part, beyond the Verdon and the Artuby, within the Department of Var.
Its limits are determined thus: to the West, the Valley of the Durance from Vinon-sur-Verdon at the confluence of the river ASSE. North, the river ASSE which the extreme tip is located in the village of Châteauredon. At the is, still the river ASSE to the col of probed, and then the route Napoleon: R.N. 85 passing to Castellane, in the village of guard, and down to the hamlet of Vieraute where in the direct line, limit Alpes Maritimes, rising to the top of Lachens and descending to the Canjuers plateau. To the South, limits of the military camp of Canjuers plateau, to the Lake of Sainte-Croix, then the course of the Verdon to the confluence of the Durance in Vinon.
ClimatologyBy its position and its altitude, the Verdon countries has a very harsh climate.
• Precipitation. -The country of the Verdon belongs to the foothills of the South and is the first barrier between the Alps and the Mediterranean basin. That is why that often clouds cling on the highest peaks, and given the diversity of terrain and valleys, they drain into them and not come out if a wind helps to clear.
• Thunderstorms. -This is the part of the Haute-Provence where they are the most. They are sometimes violent and some peaks serve as a lightning rod, and are not spared by the lightning. Moreover, the risk is very large in the Grand Canyon of the Verdon since lightning can be channelled, and a persistent draught makes its most favorable action.
• The mists. -They are very common in spring and autumn over canyons, and are often spread on the Plains that dominate them, resulting in nightly frosts and morning frost on the vegetation. Fog sheet carries a belt, dating is the course of the Verdon to Castellane, after a portion more clear to pass it of Vinon probed, found browsing Valley ASSE to the Durance and then at the confluence of the Verdon in Vinon.
• The snow. -All years, the summits of the Verdon are coated with an immaculate mantle. The snow falls very low, generally at the level of 900 to 1,000 m. elevation plateaus the thickness of the layer on the peaks is sometimes greater than 1 meter. It persists often several months primarily on the slopes exposed to the N. This state allows to offer to lovers of cross-country skiing, beautiful crossings on the tops of the Verdon.
• Temperatures. -January and February are the coldest months. Already in November it happens that temperatures below 0 C night; It is the same for the month of March.
The windsThe prevailing winds usually come from the North West (Mistral and Tramontane) which are descendants winds gusting. They translate into a substantial release of heaven, but they also bring cooling relief.
Westerly winds (Labe) bring a mild temperature and cloud formations of cumulus; they reflected generally by rain, large storms and strong gusts of wind. The Largade driven clouds without to be wet precipitation. Winds from the East (Levant, Gregaou and Mountagniero "Lombard") bring also a thaw and cloud formations of stratocumulus clouds and nimbostratus. Rains are dangerous, often persistent and very insightful. These winds are generally continuous and sometimes violent. The winds from the South are however very rare; sea wind is stopped by the hills of the Var, barrier; only the Sirocco (wind from Africa) goes over, and transmits cloud disturbances and a few fleeting showers mixed with sand. It dries out more vegetation it sprinkles it.
All these types of winds are very seen across the peaks of the Verdon country, usually from 800 m altitude.
HydrologyThe country of Verdon has a very important hydrological richness, and the sources are many. This richness comes from the importance of the forests of strapping which retain moisture to all floors; a calcareous shell that made up the ground on the heights covers a clay plate as bedrock, which allows to contain important tablecloths on a high floor, justifying the presence of sinkholes. But also the fact that it lies in the alpine foothills, snow persists for several months during the winter season and sometimes even in the spring, which is a natural reserve of water.
Geological unitsThe country of the Verdon, or at least, that we describe this two great geological units dissimilar: on the one hand, to the West, the vast Valensole plateau fairly homogeneous, on the other hand, to the East, the beginning of the subalpine of the Southern Alps arc, very mountainous and extremely tormented.
De Viñón, going toward worthy by the isthmus durancien and the Valley of Asse, we encounter of alluvium and detrital materials. The Valensole plateau, floor higher, offers a strong thickness of Habing of the Pliocene limestone, coming to jam against the long bar of Jurassic limestone of the Montdenier to the East and the fault Verdon to the South.
The South break formed by the bed of the Verdon, Vinon in Moustiers-Sainte-Marie is relatively identical limestone of lower Cretaceous covered often composition of beds of sandstone, brownish from the miocene sands and very thick marl layers. The high subalpine terrain of the country of the Verdon is quite different and much more tormented. The Lac de Sainte-Croix, dating the Verdon on the left bank, we meet around Aiguines yellow marls and Pliocene dominated the land. Above, an outcrop of blue limestone of the upper Jurassic covers the Canjuers plateau where sinkholes can supply the vauclusian source of Fontaine L'EVEQUE.
The diversity of the terrain is more on the right bank of the Verdon and beyond to the North.
Going to la Palud, crossing an area of sand, sandstone and marls over the Lake of Sainte-Croix. Saint-Maurin, the effect produced by the flow of water allows to discover a large area of Tuff and travertine, to then find more East of the formations of marl tender of the Cretaceous and the limestone beds of the Jurassic until the Point Sublime dominated by Upper Triassic gypsum painted red and dolomite near the village of Rougon. This phenomenon occurs until the sun deck with an outcrop of the Cretaceous formation.
Above this zone, lies the plateau of the Suech doline and faults of the settled in the upper Jurassic dominated by the great peaks of the Verdon country, composed of plates and upper Cretaceous Marly limestone. The rise on Castellane to discover limestone conglomerates that stand in monolithic towers at the Brandis Cadieres, in vertical strata at the door of St. John as well as the Jurassic limestone in the Robion Syncline. Upper folding consist of Marly limestone with a few slices of conglomerates of sandstone at the helm of the Montdenier, in the Valley of the Estoublaisse up to Majastres, as well as in the Valley of Blieux. Curiosity, a bench of very thick (eocene) sandstone, whose folding are very acute, and Oligocene conglomerate-coated, appear to Sandra, and gypsum Triassic straddles the Cretaceous the area from Castellane to the Destourbes mountain where the fault to the North is filled with red gypsum of Triassic.
FloraThe flora of the country of the Verdon can be defined by two qualifiers: richness and diversity.
The limit of the Provence and the alpine foothills, it cannot be differently. Climate and the plant floor conducive to this phenomenon.
Flora in Mediterranean character is located in the S with the spices and sometimes aggressive bushes; on view on the high peaks alpine flora of quality.
WildlifeWildlife hair is just as important. Rodents are very numerous, as well as their predators. The rabbit and Hare are widespread, but also you can meet: polecat, the Dormouse, the Muscadine, otter, weasel, Badger, marten, Fox, squirrel that leaps from branch to branch, or muskrat who sneaks through the bushes... There are also large pieces; first the wild boar, and deer that has been reintroduced in recent years. The surprise isn't great meet marmots on the hatch between the height and the Chiran Plan? Indeed, it is the southernmost point of the Alps where we can begin to see. There are also domestic wildlife, so the country of Verdon still sees its hillsides frequented by many herds of goats and sheep.
Aquatic fauna has a great place, having regard to the number of streams that exist as well as the great Lake of Sainte-Croix, fish the most common are the cheveyne, Pike and trout.
Reptiles are in the Verdon in a privileged environment. The diversity of the wood and moisture promote their attendance; first the Viper, which is becoming more and more rare, certainly due to the development of tourism, she had to seek refuge elsewhere. More common is the snake Thistle yellow, the grass snake, sometimes up to 2 m in length, but it is especially the smooth Green Snake that is more prevalent. The big green lizard is in hot scrubland, the southernmost, if not the most common of the tarentes is found everywhere.
We will size in wildlife "insects". If you listen the song of the cicadas in the lower Verdon, is no longer as the crickets heard earlier. Grasshoppers abound in the prairies. Countries of lavender, honey, bee, WaSP and Hornet everywhere occupy the land. "Attention to stings.
Above, in the forest and pastures, the Gadfly and a high concentration of small flies you lurk and circling around your face to finally stick to your skin, which is not always very pleasant. The majestic Butterfly occurs throughout the country of the Verdon.
MycologyGiven the diversity of the forests of the country du Verdon, Mycology holds an important place. Firstly it is the exploitation of the truffle which is part of the resources. From the earliest days of autumn, Boletus abound on the whole territory, the suillus luteus, but also the cepe. It also meets the (blood) saffron milkcap towards the end of October, but also coprins, the death amanita and felid, the lycoperdons, the tricolomes, chanterelles, (sheep feet) sarcodons, hygrophores rusules, the oyster of the olive tree, the collybies... At the end of the winter, the Morel is widespread.
Legal protection of the country of the VerdonBy Decree of 3 March 1997, published in Official Journal of 4 March 1997, the regional park of the Verdon was created, it includes 200,000 hectares for a population of 20,000 inhabitants in 44 municipalities. The full text and annexes plans can be found in the prefectures of the Var and the Alpes de Haute Provence as well as in the concerned municipalities. Already the caves of Saint-Maurin, former habitat of the Templars had been classified. Note as well the geological reserve of Haute-Provence. Furthermore, the unique beauty of the sites and very tormented terrain to keep this sector in the natural state; but it is mainly thanks to some respectful of their terroir owners with the O.N.C. that handles many forests, as well as the communal wood.
The populationCannot address the Verdon country not to mention the people who were born and live permanently. If these last decades, rural municipalities have seen tourism, second homes and subdivisions grow, especially around the villages, if the craft takes little by little its place, few people in the country were able to enjoy it, and continue to lead a hard life despite the progress of mechanization. The best tribute we can pay them is to not ignore, but rather to engage in dialogue, which incidentally, is always very rewarding.
More than elsewhere in the South of the France, constraints to live are coarse, yet the inhabitants respond right through your requests for information, and let you browse their trails. You know thank observing sites, leaving no trace of your passage, do you pulling not the paths shown to do no harm to crops, turning no outbreak, not destroying the flora that is their garden. The nature is very fragile, you protect it. It is part of the scenery of the peasant who spent his lifetime; It is a permanent show to the hiker.
Economy and resourcesThe main resource of the country of the Verdon is first and foremost its hydrological richness, which allowed the construction of several deductions for energy production.
Tourism has taken a very important place. Tourists from all over the world come to spend several days during the summer, in the resorts or campgrounds that are more and more. New form of tourism, nature sports which grow very quickly in recent years, with the Verdon offers a very complete range of activities such as: kayaking, hiking, climbing, downhill swimming, acrobatic descent of the gorges and canyons, hang gliding, paragliding, bungee jumping, horseback riding, mountain biking, windsurfing, etc.
More locally, these are mainly agricultural resources that perpetuate for many generations: cereals, lavenders, beekeeping, truffle, olive trees, etc., mainly on the Canjuers and Valensole plateau. There are also sheep farming in the poorest areas, generally in valley bottoms or on farms located in altitude.
The craft also has an important place in this country. First, ceramic "Moustiers', known worldwide, but also the carved wood, Earth objects cooked, the work of leather, the santons, work on copper, enamels, etc. And then, country of hunters, there is also game preserves...
Hunting and fishing and farmingIt is widespread in the country of the Verdon. Thus, we recommend that you, during hunting, avoid, the morning some areas frequented by hunters, mainly in forested areas. Try to wear flashy clothes and give up the camouflage outfits (khaki color for example). Feel free to make you hear.
You need to know, on the other hand, that a modus vivendi was concluded between the F.F.R.P. (Fédération Française de hiking trails), C.N.I.C.N. (Committee National of Information hunting, Nature) and O.N.C. (National Office of hunting) aimed at improving relations that must exist between the various users of the nature.
As for hunting, rivers attendance is important. At the opening of the river fishing, a multitude of small fine cannes exceed thickets along the shores.
The herds are browser in the country of the Verdon. When you meet, we recommend not to panic the cattle in order to avoid inconvenience. And if by good fortune, you can talk to the Shepherd, he will tell you his land..., it will tell you about the secrets of nature who ignore the time and modes..., it will reveal the legends of his country..., it will make you dream of another Galaxy in a sidereal universe where there is that wisdom in an ideal world...
The communes of the country of the VerdonThe municipalities play an important role for the hiker. This work must therefore be carried out so that they feel concerned. It is to them that is our playground;Thus, we plot below, the main lines of those involved in this guide:
• Aiguines (alt.: 837 m), resources: Lavender, honey, almonds, sheep, crafts (balls, objects carved in boxwood), careers.
• Germany-en-Provence (alt.: 421 m), resources: Lavender, cereals, fish farming, vineyards.
• Bargème (alt: 1097 m), resources: Lavender, honey, fruit, cattle, cheese, cereals, crafts (santons), forestry operations.
• Barrême (alt.: 722 m), resources: Lavender, honey, sheep, crafts (sculpture, textile), sulfur deposit.
• Beynes (alt.: 796 m), resources: Lavender, sheep, cereals.
• Blieux (alt.: 965 m), resources: Lavender, honey, sheep. Astronomical station.
• Bras d'asse (Bégude white) (alt.: 475 m), resources: Lavender, mushrooms, garlic, honey.
• Brenon (alt.: 900 m), resources: Lavender, honey, fruits, sheep.
• Brunet (alt.: 425 m), resources: fruits, olives (oil), vine, lavender, herding of sheep, sand pit.
• Castellane (alt.: 724 m), resources: Lavender, honey, fish farming, handicrafts (glass). (Hamlets dependent Castellane: Chasteuil, Eoulx, Robion, Taloire, Taulanne, Villard-Brandis).
• Châteauvieux (alt.: 1 050 m), resources: goat, goats cheese, handicrafts.
• Chaudon-Norante (alt.: 666 m), resources: Lavender, polyculture.
• Comps-sur-Artuby (alt.: 900 m), resources: Lavender, honey, game, sheep, cereals, forestry.
• Enclave of Senez (formerly commune of "Hair") (alt.: 1,161 m), resources: Lavender, sheep.
• Elisabeth de Verdon (alt.: 386 m), resources: Lavender, honey, lavender, fish farming, goat cheese, cereals, truffles, vineyards, goats, crafts (sculptors).
• Estoublon (alt.: 513 m), resources: Lavender, honey.
• Gréoux-les-Bains (alt.: 367 m), resources: vineyards, olive, lavender, calissons, crafts. Thermal and climatic resort.
• La Bastide (alt.: 1,025 m), resources: cattle, potatoes potato, forage, wood.
• Guard (alt.: 900 m), resources: crops, sheep, confectionery, gypsum quarry.
• Marten (alt.: 997 m), resources: grains, lavender, honey.
• La Palud-sur-Verdon (alt.: 833 m), resources: Lavender, honey, truffles, goat cheese, handicrafts (pottery).
• Le Bourget (alt.: 840 m), resources: forest, lavender, honey, sheep, mushrooms, crafts (pottery).
• Majastres(alt.: 1 162 m), resources: sheep.
• Montagnac-Montpezat (alt.: 600 m), resources: truffles, honey, beekeeping, goat cheese, goat, lavender, vines, cereals, crafts (pottery).
• Moustiers-Sainte-Marie (alt.: 630 m), resources: Lavender, honey, olives, crafting (earthenware).
• Puimoison (alt.: 694 m), resources: Lavender, lavandin, honey, almonds, truffles, crafts (pottery).
• Quinson (alt.: 372 m), resources: vines, lavender, truffles, beekeeping, cheese of goat, sheep, Museum of prehistory.
• Riez (alt.: 520 m), resources: honey, olives, beekeeping, truffles, sheep, crafts (pottery and figurines).
• Rougon (alt.: 962 m), resources: honey, lavender, cereals.
• Roumoules (alt.: 590 m), resources: lavandin, cereals, honey.
• Saint-Julien-D'asse (alt.: 484 m), resources: honey, olives, beekeeping, lavender, cereals, polyculture.
• Saint-Jurs (alt.: 925 m), resources: Lavender and honey.
• Saint-Martin-de-Brômes (alt.: 358 m), resources: Lavender, lavandin, fungi, vines, fish farming, sheep.
• Senez (alt.: 780 m), resources: Lavender, honey, sheep, crafts.
• Trigance (alt.: 788 m), resources: sheep, seafood, crafts (faience and terracotta).
• Valensole (alt.: 542 m, resources: oleicoles, agricultural, wine, grain, lavender, pheasantry, sheep, arts and crafts.)
• Vinon-sur-Verdon (alt.: 285 m) resources: vegetable, pig breeding, crafts.
Recommendations before leavingIf for you the hiking is synonymous with relaxation, remember that nature is very fragile, mainly in the South of France where she is often ravaged by fires in times of drought and mistral. Given the vulnerability of the forest, light so no fire, its brands are irreversible and often catastrophic damage.
Nature is your playground, don't mess the, don't throw any fatty paper, no Tin, no bottle, no plastic and leave behind no trace of your passage.
Do not trample the meadows and crops. Look, feel, shooting wildlife without the pick.
Do not panic the herds; If your dog accompanies you, be sure it does not continue grazing cattle. The animals may, by panic, jumping Rocky bars or rush into ravines, at the risk of injury and even to kill. More may cost you dearly.
Be always correct with the inhabitants. Don't make unnecessary noises, a minimum of discretion, and nature will thank you the peace that you give him.
No camping outside the home sites. Don't ever leave the trail. Beware of slippery grass slopes. Do not roll the smaller stone, another hiker can be found below.
Do never leave alone. And now go to the hills, rivers, animals, trees, flowers that are available to your curiosity, but does not forget to also join men, farmers, ranchers, farmers, loggers, forest, shepherds, hunters, all inhabitants of these mountains of light.
How access to the land of the Verdon?• By private car: the road network of the country of the Verdon made in a functional manner, which allows to access easily and directly to all the communes and the starting points of the described routes. Each starting point is located near a parking or a possible parking area.
• By bus: the vast majority of municipalities are connected by a bus service. The common main have one or several daily services, some are not served on Sunday or during certain periods of the year. Inquire in advance with local cars companies.
• By train: some cities are served by the train des Pignes, or line SNCF (Manosque-Gréoux-les-Bains, Digne for example).
Where to sleep?In most common one can find hotels, cottages or campsites. Find out beforehand on the sites of the offices of tourism, which will tell you the best places for hiking, as well as for rest after a few hours of markets.
Most cited common will offer you the opportunity to properly supply (bakery, deli, grocery, etc.).
Concerning water supply, the country of the Verdon natural units are moderately provided sources. We meet however many courses of water, but also a few wells and tanks.
Water points are generally reported in the routes.
Equipment and recommended materialsThe morphology of the sometimes rough terrain of the natural units of the country du Verdon, as well as the particular climate of the northern slopes do not neglect this chapter, especially in winter, as there may be important variations in temperature from one side to the other.
Therefore, we recommend to perform walks:
• Backpack waterproof Nylon with an ergonomic back;
• ankle boots with Vibram non-slip sole leather; wool socks;
• against the cold: trousers in cotton, quilted anorak, sweater wool, wool, gloves, scarf Hat;
• rain: hood waterproof nylon, bag covers;
• against the Sun and heat: short, Canvas Hat, sunglasses, possibly cream solar;
• for the route: compass, map I.G.N. to 1/25 thousandth;
• in order to facilitate relief, maintain: whistle, rocket launchers and rockets, electric lamp for the night;
• for first emergency relief: Pharmacy-Kit and map showing the blood group;
• for long rides include: electric lamp with spare batteries;
• for steep runs with some technical difficulties, it is desirable to have a string of 20 metres, diameter 8 mm, as well as two carabiners and a ring of rope;
• miscellaneous equipment always useful: string, pencil, can opener, knife, plastic bags, Tin enamel, goblet, etc.
For a hike of several days requiring bivouac equipment (down for example), kitchen (stove, Bowl, etc.), clothes, some food, the load will soon reach 10 to 12 kilos.
It is therefore useful to consider very seriously, before departure, its route and its equipment.
Signage on the ground
The routes described in this guide do not necessarily follow staking; However, when there is, we note them for information and tracking. The described staking colors are those that exist on the ground at the time where this book goes to press, which does not exclude that these traces can be repainted a different color.
Associations the Fédération Française de la Randonnée Pédestre very properly maintain the network of staking as well as local associations often from municipalities.
On the other hand, might that of marginals unidentified could draw anarchic staking, which may sometimes cause confusion. So don't be surprised to discover one day a route that was never reported or another which has been repainted differently. So rely on the guide with its schemas, as well as maps of the I.G.N.
You'll also meet a part of G.R. 4 coming from Manosque and going to Grasse in crossing the Plateau de Valensole, and then following the course of the Verdon to Castellane, and G.R. 99 from Toulon, joining G.R. 4 in the Grand Canyon du Verdon in the Mechelen.
Accidents and firesAccident, as soon as possible notify the City Hall of the municipality, the mounted police, firefighters from Castellane. They have teams trained with equipment specialized for mountain rescue Interventions; they are very effective and can respond very quickly by helicopter.
In recent years, Provence was devastated by the cruel scourge of "fire". The country of Verdon has also been affected, and shaken its ecological balance. Also, if you find any hint of a fire, as soon as possible tell firefighters from the town nearest.
Routes and difficultiesEach itinerary includes a set of technical information giving the difficulties of the course (see scale of difficulty), schedule, the mileage, the drop-offs, the characteristics of set, mapping, access. In the description of course you will find the course of the route, the directional sense, points (generally timed) characteristics with their altitude, possible variants, the action in some passages, water points, points of view, the characteristic points out the route, encountered curiosities and sometimes the history of a place.
Hiking has become a social phenomenon. Given the attendance of natural spaces, it is good to prevent the followers of risk and the difficulties they will face. Thus, each hiker can decide itself, according to its possibilities, if it can perform one course rather than another. Without wishing to be locked in a sectarian system, knowing that hiking is a flight towards freedom, in 1984, Alexis Lucchesi considered useful, with the advice of several experts, to develop a scale of difficulty for the hiker.
This scale has been taken up by various authors of guides, but it commits only the authors and remains subjective.
Our eyes, two criteria are required:
• the arduous nature of a course ("P");
• the technical difficulty ("T").
The arduous nature of a course is a difficulty caused by the length of the trip, the stiffness of the sides and slopes, the nature of the soil, changes in levels, etc.
The technical difficulty comes from dizzying passages and including Rocky ledges which may present risks of accident and misdirecting.
Three levels represented by the numbers 1, 2 and 3 for each criterion. Thus one can calibrate each route or certain passages of a route.
• P1: path or flat trail, on a flexible and pleasant ground.
• P2: long ride with frequent drop-offs.
• P3: trail poorly stabilized in falls.
• T1: trail in balcony or rocks near escarpments.
• T2: trail climbing up rocky jumps easy and exposed.
• T3: jumps Rocky, sometimes long and delicate, equipped cables or chains, requesting a large concentration.
In this technical topic, are also classified the difficulties of orientation of a route by notifying.
The timetables are calculated for hikers trained and accustomed to walking on the terrain of the average mountain.
It is not question to stroll, or to run, but only to increase steadily.
Schedules were given after the effective course of routes; and every indication of duration corresponds to the mean time timed by several hikers.
- Vallongue-Fer, la Combe, Maurouès, Plaine de Barènes, Plaine de Maton and Moustiers-Sainte-Marie
- Grand Canyon du Verdon, Montdenier and Gorges de Trévans
- Beynes Mountain, Vibres Mountain, Mourre de Chanier-Chiran
- Pioulet-Berbène, Pré-Chauvin-Bandis, Le Breis, Robion
- Wood Siounet, Jabron Valley, Mountains Destourbes and Brouis, The Margès, Le Bas-Verdon and the Great Hiking of Verdon Gorge
- Easy hikes near by the Verdon
- Gorges du Verdon by bike
- GR footpath in Verdon Gorge
- Hikes in Haute-Provence
- Hikes near by the Verdon
- MTB in Haute-Provence
- Skiing, hiking and biking near by the Ubaye and Gorges du Verdon