1 week in the Gorges du Verdon= 2 campsites to discover the richness of this incredible site
Find out more
1 week in the Gorges du Verdon= 2 campsites to discover the richness of this incredible site
Find out more
Tourist road circuits in Verdon Gorge Part 3
The Corniche SublimeIt is from Aiguines opens the path of the Corniche Sublime (D 71), on the left bank, who will join Comps-sur-Artuby, distant approximately 38 kilometres. This route overlooking the Grand Canyon, was directed by stages between 1934 and 1950. This is the more air and the highest road course in the Gorges du Verdon, which runs along the chasm gaping until the balconies of the Mescla.
Before committing totally to this journey, should make a stop at the chapelle St-Pierre. From the point of view, an orientation table ranging the villages and towns of the region to the Mediterranean is erect, eyes focus to Infinity if the Mistral was willing to play its role in deporting otherwise clouds. It has no more beautiful observation point to admire the Lake of Ste-Croix and the villages carefully posed on its banks.
The road then rises and vegetation changes. There are plant species where the boxwood, wild lavender, thyme and conifers dominate in a typically Mediterranean garrigue. New meeting with Verdon (that is a little lost because of the terrain and lake view), to the Col of D'illoire (967 m.). Illore was a poacher who passed through this pass to go fishing trout in the Emerald torrent, and then sell on the markets of the countries. He thus escaped out of control the tidal Causeway or the forest guard. During the 2nd World War, this passage was used by guerrillas. In this hostile nature, it was difficult to locate for who does not know the pitfalls.
The Vaumale trailThe site is the point of arrival (or departure) of the Vaumale trail, which begins at a place called the small forest located more upstream. The route then leads to the Vaumale circus. A flowing source throughout the year at the bottom of the ravine, the Source of Vaumale, 'Site class' there shortly (in years 1996/97).
This vast geological basin shows the fantastic work of erosion undertaken by the waters of the Verdon over millennia. To the left, with edges salient and vivid stand their drop to the conquest of the skies: ridges of varnishes proudly overlooking the parade of the Garret. From this point, the thus constituted peak appears to decide suddenly bright everything that connects the Verdon and Lake. This is only an optical illusion...
In the end of the nail ridges that extend water Street parade takes place the Pas de Galetas. A few dozen more upstream source, the road reaches its highest point in the Gorges of the Verdon at 1202 m.
Camp of CanjuersAt a bend in the path, a lookout on the left offers a panorama grabbing all of the Pas du Galetas and the ridges of varnish, water Street and the circus Vaumale, and to the right, on the foothills of Moustiers and mount Denier, but also, on view full, Barbin and Mayreste sites. The perspective is truly masterful. Wearing his gaze to the torrent, on notice of the boats and pedal boats go up the bed Verdon. They seem infinitely small and lost in this mineral immensity. The course always along the curves of the cliff blithely overlooking the Emerald torrent that continues its course towards the Lake. Apart from the period that spans the months of July and August, we should not be surprised to hear gunfire, and the canon tonner. From the Signal of large margins, the road adjoins the Canjuers military Camp limits. The Canjuers Plateau hosts the largest military training camp in Europe, and the armed forces, whether they are French or foreign, come to there throughout the year. A portion of the trail by large margins, on the heights, takes place on the limits the most Northern military land, without any risk for hikers.
The corniche unmissable sitesThe route continues in the great forest trees and views allow new shots. The Corniche Sublime, in addition to the majestic vistas it offers on the sites of the Verdon, has the advantage of presenting a well-shaded circuit, which is very significant in the summer.
New sites are revealed to the son of the detours of Highway and appear Mayreste and its Templar bastide, the neck of the olive tree and the Col of Aven (on the opposite bank), les contreforts foothills of the Robion which stands in the distance, towards the North-East, overlooking La Palud plans. The Sublime Point, nearly 15 km as the crow flies, is visible if the weather agrees. Now, the cliffs rising to 960 meters above the bed of the Verdon. The panoramas on the sites of La Maline and the Estellie are grandiose. Extending the circuit, a sign that says on the left, trail access, to approach the site of the Baucher (spelled also Baouchier, Baoucher or Bauchier). This is the trail Vidal. Ladders, ledges, balconies, cables stretched as a handrail, passages are on his trail, and many other obstacles are there. Considered dangerous (and it really is!) this course is strictly forbidden for the descent. Only its ascent is authorized. He manages, at the bottom of the Gorges, between sites of the Styx and the Imbut, in about 20 minutes.
Formerly called "trail Vidal de relief", he served actually direct link between the road and the Verdon to come help to people in difficulty, or accident victims, who were in the Gorge or canyon area. Why 'Vidal '? Simply because it is the name of the engineer who opened it at work which took place at the beginning of the 20th century, when there was talk to develop sites of Verdon for channelling its waters directly to electrical plants.
The Baucher viewpoint and cliffs of the jumpersThe Belvedere of the Baucher is held a few tens of metres further than the Vidal trail access. The road draws two successive laces in reaching the small forest, starting point of Vaumale, and the Summit of the Grand trails. The two sides are narrowing and after 3.5 kilometers of a route relatively tortuous, the route leads to the cliff of riders. The hotel of the Grand canyon, built on the brink, symbolizes the place. Riders leave the trail towards the Summit of large margins, on the one hand, and other primarily, towards Gorges, from the bottom, the path of the Imbut.
On the Route des Crêtes, in front on the right shore of Verdon, stands the Chalet de la Maline, flanked him also to side of wall. Looks worn on the gaping flaw are surprising. Upstream the course of the torrent, on the right and high at the top of the cliff, we guess the openings of the Tunnels of Fayet.
Legend has it that a bandit on horseback, pursued by a horde of vigilantes, to horse, able to jump, he and his mount, from one bank to another to escape them...Since then the name of the place remained the jumpers. The story does not say, on the other hand, if the vigilante riders were able to do the same!
Located undeveloped lookouts along the way to enjoy this grandiose and enchanting site. A few meters from the buildings, a more or less arranged replat acts heliport. It is advisable not to park more than 5 minutes on this platform. A helicopter of Civil Protection of the mounted police, firefighters, may want to ask at any time, especially when it comes to evacuate a rugged hiker, or bring relief to people in difficulty deep gorges.
The EstellieThe Verdon is booming and bubbling of the strength of its green waters and vivid. Its roar manages up to us, developed by the approximation of the Rocky walls of the parade of Estellie (star in Provençal) which form a perfect acoustics. At the end of the parade, at a place called Estellie, a gateway, seen during the autumn 1999, lets rally the banks right and left the Emerald torrent, the Estellie gateway.
The old metal bridge was swept away in November 1994 (15 and 16) during the great flood of the Verdon, in the aftermath of violent storms that struck the southeast of the France. The new structure, as also allowed it that which was before him, also offers hikers the possibility of a junction between the Martel Trail (upstream towards the Sublime Point and the Samson corridor) and of the Imbut (in the direction of the river Styx, L'imbut, and Baou Beni).
Around noon, in summer, when standing at the bottom of the Gorge, on the trail, and we look to the top of the dominant cliffs, the Sun then at its zenith, caressing their tops, seems to form a star. Where the name of the name of the magical, Estellie.
The route departs the fracture by Verdon time and then turn the site of the tunnel de Fayet. Dug into the rock, at the edge of the void, the place deserves a stop.Upper Belvedere and downstream, stand out the horsemen, great margins, white bleeding of the Route des Crêtes. Upstream, we guess the bergerie lonely Tosks in the middle of the vast plateau and collar Baris. A beautiful sight beads draft the parade of the Baume aux boeufs. Looking down, on the right bank, it is possible to see on the Martel trail hikers.
Inside of the first tunnel, elevation 960, on one of the pillars supporting the rock, a white marble plaque was raised in memory of e.-A MARTEL and the companions.
The secondary Canyon of the ArtubyThe journey from the Corniche Sublime will depart temporarily the aerial perspectives on the Verdon and the Gorges it borrows for longer now the Artuby secondary Canyon.
Two kilometres past the site of Fayet, a stroll may be undertaken in the direction from the point of view of the bed (to the left of the road), from which an impressive panorama opens on the parade. This point is not in place, there is no barrier, and a vacuum of 400 metres separates it from the course of the torrent.Vigilance is necessary itself.
To realize the indentation and the savagery of the Canyon of the Artuby, should get on the apron of the work which spans it. The Artuby bridge is the building that we discover at the bend of a lace of the road, whose exact name is the Chauliere bridge.
It is common to attend the practice of 'benji', otherwise said, bungee jumping. «benjiistes» engage in their favorite sport, defying the laws of gravity, they throw the Central guardrail of the bridge, in the vacuum of 180 meters that awaits, in opening with impunity under their head... The first and most surprised were, from the early days of this activity, the Gendarmes who looked incredulous, these "young crazy flying in a vacuum" rush into the nothingness of the canyon... Although long rigorously prohibited, now tolerated and regulated, a panel near the building still bears the prefectural prohibition of this discipline from the book. The Gendarmerie has, in the past, trained several minutes of offences.
The bridge, building a single arch that crosses the cliffs of its 110 meters long, was built between 1938 and 1947 by a Nice company, Berutti society. It is worth noting that the Artuby bridge is the highest bridge in Europe for the practice of "benji". On a trail that runs along the left bank of the Artuby, a sign mentions the boundaries of Canjuers military camp. The Artuby River is a tributary of the Verdon which flows in the hamlet of La Mescla. Basically, this is the scary world of the canyon in training. Cold, difficult access, populated of vipers that coil in the gours, dotted with pots and sinks of erosion, the canyon of the Artuby is a hostile place. That does not preclude the practice of the descent of Glues, wetsuit, accompanied by a professional guide. André MONIER, Point sublime, guide du Verdon who made his career before and after the second world war, recounted his trip in the canyon of the Artuby: "... more than 5 hours of climbing, sports market, sliding in cold waters, and delicate passages meetings less fun to force the perilous journey in hostile terrain (reptiles)...".
Balconies of the MesclaLeaving the site, the route then dealt to La Mescla. Between the Tunnels of Fayet, the Artuby secondary canyon and the Mescla, were shot numerous sequences of the film "The specialists" (1985-86) with the roles main Bernard GIRAUDEAU and Gérard LANVIN, especially when they escape from the paddy wagon in which they are chained together.
The first 20 minutes of this film were conducted in the Gorges of the Verdon. Many sites are recognizable: corridor Samson and the Point Sublime, the road ridges and cliffs of the stopovers, and campaigns around Moustiers Ste-Marie among other places.
The balconies of the Mescla have many car parks and a souvenir shop. A refreshing stopover will be welcome in the heart of the summer verdonnien.
The Mescla (mixing or it involved waters in Provençal), is the confluence of the Artuby and Verdon. It is also the junction point between the Feres balms parade, right upstream, and the Baume aux boeufs, left downstream. Stands before the courts of the Emerald torrent a genuine chicane forcing the Verdon to change the direction of its path skirting the rocky outcrop of breccia Imbert (on the right bank) that could not bend. The Mescla is the basis of this 'V' gigantic, synonymous with Verdon.
The breach Imbert, located on the route of the Martel trail allows hikers to a crossing of stops him Rocky. Metal stairs, number 252, facilitate the progression on the way. IMBERT, is the engineer who realized the passage, originally, from the time it was question of channeling the Verdon to penstocks to the dams-factories (early 20th century).
We should not miss to visit 'the bath', this landscaped panorama below the Relais des Balcons, to admire the majestic together site. The vision that we are on the cliffs is Dante. The confluence of the vulnerabilities from the glacial period takes another dimension. Two landscaped viewpoints allow a high places, any approach in seeing to the bottom, near the torrent a few hikers making the Martel trail hiking. Exceeding these vertiginous sites, the Corniche Sublime addresses new landscapes, less tormented, but of equal beauty. Rugged landforms are blurred, and new perspectives emerge.
A landscaped replat, bearing a sign information, overlooking the Gorges de Chastillon, opens wide at the site of Trigance and Jabron plain looks.
The horizon Highlands and the peaks of the Verdon stand out one after the other: Cadieres, the Roubion and the glue of Breis (1280 m). Abandoning these panoramas out of sight and this vast depression, by extending the route, approaching crossing with D 90, at left, which mentions the city of Trigance.
Continuing in a straight line by the 71 D, it succeeds in Comps-sur-Artuby, offering as directions Draguignan, Centre-Var and Côte d'Azur coastline.
To the left, the directions of Trigance, Pont de Soleils, Castellane and the right bank of the Gorges du Verdon, present themselves to visitors.
TriganceSince Aiguines, 30 kilometres remote, no place is occupied by the lower village. The Trigance city, located in the Var Department, was built in Eyrie on the side of a towering ledge, dominated by its feudal Castle from the 11th century. Restored more than twenty years ago, the Fort was transformed into hotel of great category, whose parts have been fully and beautifully reconstructed, as at the time of the middle ages. Fortin, according to some historians, would be also (but many centuries... ago) named Valcroze Castle, which, as discussed in the chapter devoted to the Knights Templar, the word "Valcroze" attracted much desires about the famous treasure of the order of the Temple. The early occupation of the territory is attested by the discovery of graves from the Iron Age found on the plateau of Suns. Trigance is cited first in 813, under the name Villa negancia, the three sons of gold (or silver twisted three-strand), one of the dependencies of the Abbey St-Victor de Marseille.
The origin of the name is not fixed, because some have seen in Tre Egentia, the name of three Roman families exempt from Roman tax. Others in the prefixes 'Tr' meaning a high point, or "Treb" Gauls, or parish in Breton, the original name of the site.
Fief important of counts of Provence, of the powerful lords succeeded one another at the head of large State-owned tracts. Include for example, families Raymond Demandolx (of the village situated upstream of Castellane), VALBELLE, SAINT-TULLE and CASTELLANE. It should be noted that the family of DEMANDOLX was actually DEMANDOLX - LA PALUD, the name of the village of La Palud-sur-Verdon, on the right bank. Many Templars took refuge in Trigance after 1307, year of the arrest of many of them, and especially from 1314, when the Grand Master of the order was placed on the stake and burnt alive.
Chapels and buildingsTrigance is an old typically Provençal village, located 800 metres above sea level, with its streets in stairs and vaulted passages. The parish church St-Michel of the 12th is mentioned in 1225 in a bull of Pope Gregory IX. Restored in the 14th, Romanesque style, it was expanded in 1660. The Interior contains treasures of religious art classified by the Institute of fine arts (Silver Cross of the 15th and copper from the 18th century, basins of quest for 16th cross). The building is wearing a topped campanile of polychrome glazed tiles, a bit like those of the castle of Aiguines, with the difference that the tower is here square. The chapels St-Julien (11th) and St-Roch (dated from the 17th century) - built on a foundation of Templar origin-, and a belfry square campanile, current clock tower, pleasantly complement the dominant position of this village.
Painters and craftsmen have established domicile in the medieval city, found here calm and serenity to accomplish their works. At the threshold of the Provençal city, nonchalantly flows the stream of Jabron. The Pont Napoleon (rebuilt in the 18th century on Roman foundations) allows to easily cross the shores, although two vehicles can be found at the same time on her main deck. Before embarking on the work, a departure from trails is committed to the Table of Breis, the wearable du Jabron to reach the site of Carrejuan on the right bank. Other hikes are possible at the departure of Trigance, who also has a Heritage House and a botanical trail of discoveries. The summer theatrical de Trigance knows a growing reputation. Coming by annual episodes disturb the serenity of this peaceful Provencal village, it is not uncommon that "Driving As", champions a little reckless driving, cross Trigance fast-paced when they are involved in diverse competitions in the Haut Var. I want proof rallies such as «the Rallye du Var", or no less famous"Monte Carlo Rally.referred to as the familiar "Monte Carle".
Taking the road: Suns and its treasuresExtending the route by the 955 D in the direction of Pont de Soleils, and from the road, we guess significantly the feudal Castle trigancien draw up its walls at the top of the rocky outcrop.
The successive road then passes through the hamlet of Suns. On the plateau, the remains of a fortified building, or Château de Valcros (private estate), original Templar, overhanging the ravine of the sweet, at the foot of the Beysse Signal (1282 m.) have been updated in a site that carries specific names: the Rocher du Fort or even the rock of the fortress.
Suns is an amazing village scattered along the Ribbon (the grey asphalt, separated the breis glue by Jabron Creek with its wash-house and its mailbox camped on the edge of the road.
Shortly after, on the right, there's the Suns mill. Snack bar, shop, but also artisan bakery, whose paste received spring water and bread has been cooked over a wood fire. The rehabilitation of the mill, and the oven heated with wood, is the work (the Paul AMOROS.
The road leaves the Department of the Var and penetrates in the Alpes de Haute-Provence, crossing the Pont de Valcros that spans the ravine of the Riu (pronounced riou).
A few metres away a track leads to the site of the castle of Suns, private domain. A congregation, inspired by Tibetan Buddhism lived practically in isolation. A trail runs along the perimeter of this vast property. It asked guests hikers of places not to disturb the serenity of the site and the inhabitants.
The Suns Templar building is at the origin of many and enigmatic research about a Templar, lost, disappeared, buried or volatilized, treasure hidden or dispersed... After excavations that lasted a whopping forty years, nobody ever found nothing! The forts de Valcros and Suns have attracted property of lusts...Even if their architectural origins are Templar, this famous treasure of the Knights Templar, would not, after all, as a mainly philosophical, esoteric, wealth rather than hardware? This deduction is, by far, more truthful, and more easily verifiable than the existence of this - hardware - treasure of the Templars...
The circuit manages to Pont de Soleils, which overlooks the Emerald torrent allowing easy crossing of the left bank on the right bank of the Verdon. The current bridge dates from 1867. The visitor returns at the same time the area of pre-Canyon. It is here that ends a journey of 60 kilometres on the journey tortuous but fabulous of the Corniche Sublime departing from the city of Aiguines.
At the exit of the work, the excursion leads to D 952 at the crossing that offers two opposite directions:
• by continuing to the left: the Sublime Point, Rougon, La Palud-sur-Verdon, Moustiers-Ste-Marie, by the right bank of the Gorges.
• in taking the decision to extend the circuit to the right: direction Castellane and the "Route Napoléon" (RN 85) by the right bank of pre-Canyon.
It is difficult to conclude this section without mentioning Comps-sur-Artuby, a true hub of roads to the right and left of the Emerald torrent shores.
Even if the medieval city has not registered in the immediate perimeter of the site was used to call the Gorges du Verdon, the city represents the access key to the mountains and mountains of this region.
Comps-sur-ArtubyCapital of the potato. The village lies 900 metres above sea level, on a high plateau of Plans de Provence, near Canjuers. Its strategic location at the confluence of the valleys has made a historically flourishing Township. The first settlements were likely on the rocky outcrop which dominates the village. Village formerly with defensive walls, the Knights Templar well represented here, built
a fortified church of St Andrew in the 11th century (on the rocky promontory which dominates the village). The Knights Templar possessed an important commandery and developed their influence over the region, making Comps-sur-Artuby one of their main bases in the country. Later, after the order of the Knights Templar had unattractively wiped out by Philippe le Bel, and his cousin Pope Clement V Crusaders settled there, leaving in their heritage, their iconic seal found on the contemporary arms of the city. Two horsemen riding the same horse.
The Provencal city donna, subsequently, two grand masters, native of Comps, to the order of Knights of Malta, in the person of ARNAUD and BERTRAND.Religious wars between Louis of ANJOU and Charles DURRAS, during the reign of Queen JEANNE, CA. 1380, ruined and déstabilisèrent the region as a whole. The fortifications and dwellings were destroyed by Charles Durras. The fief was then bounced around between various noble families until the Revolution of 1789. In the aftermath of the revolutionary period, the city's development is done through many channels of communications between the Mediterranean coast, the Haut-Var, and the Basses Alpes. It remains for many decades forced step merchants and "greet".
Since the 1950s, retaining and now a flourishing agricultural activity coupled by sheep farming, the site is also an important place of summer tourism. Hikes are carried out in the direction of the river Artuby, and many caves occupy the cliffs that dominate the course of the river.
Other places of interest such as the Roman bridge at a place called strain, the Lady known as "Betsy" Chapel, and the Chapel St-Didier ('Site class') clientele have their place. The gate Chapel the Ryan name, i.e., the hen, in the memory of the offerings made to the clergy composed mainly of poultry. Fishing and hunting for wild boars are inherent part of the scenery of this country and provencal country site. Native of Comps, the last Miller of the village and his wife, Auguste and Josette CHAUVET, had transformed their mill as a small Museum of the history of the local heritage. The new owners did not find it good, for now, to extend this beautiful realization. Let us hope they rehabilitate this artwork and encourage flourishing them to perpetuate this rewarding enterprise for all this rich region of a past.
The legend of the GnomidesA good strange phenomenon just stick to the var City: the cave of the Gnomides. Between the woods of Avellan and the Duou, in the wearable dizzying at the bottom of which flows the river la Bruyère, a cave closed by old rusted bars would be the place of residence of these funny creatures!
The Gnomides are creatures of human form but whose bust ramp at ground level. Evening, at Pentecost, it is apparently, doleful voice that escape from the abyss and that attract humans leaving hover this lament: '-just end up in groundwater, we will give you a Crown of Emerald, with blue and black lotus blooming in the darkness... ".
Could this be the origin of the Verdon Emerald? Alternatively, the Serpent green Provençal borrowed from tales of GOETHE?
Even if they are not located in close proximity to the Gorges du Verdon, the following villages will be part of your circuits of discoveries. Moving is worth a visit, and a visit is a must. Calm, serenity and the beauty of the landscapes complement the hallucinatory visions that may arise on the Gorges du Verdon.
All these cities are located in the enclosure of the Verdon Regional Natural Park. They have to work in progress, and those to come, concerning the value of heritage and natural sites.
In Provence• Saint-Julien-du-Verdon: on Lake Castillon on N 202, important route between Nice and Digne. Village the feet in the water since the creation of the Lake.Church of the assumption, 18th century, restored and enlarged. Village martyr, made infamous by the massacre of the "students of St-Julien" by the nazis in June 1944. Beautiful views of Lake scope and a base of nautical and aquatic recreation in summer complement the site.
• Castillon: do not seek on a recent map, this hamlet is not. It was engulfed by the waters during the birth of the Lake that bears his name: the Lac de Castillon. Only a few houses still exist near the hamlet of Blaron. Some newer cards mention CastillonDemandolx dam, it is a mistake because there are on one side, the Castillon Lake and dam of Castillon, and on the other, Chaudanne Lake, with the Chaudanne-Demandolx mill dam.
• Demandolx: village at the height of the Lake that bears its name. Located at 1,160 metres above sea level, on the D 102. Prosperous since the middle ages, the DEMANDOLX were a family of important and influential Lords over the region. The village relives in summer thanks to the tourists. Sightseeing: the ruins of the village of 'City' that dominate the blue range and offers beautiful views.
• Chaudanne: withholding was built in the Gorges of Chaudanne.
• Vergons: village sitting on the 202 N. Nearby, the Vergons Chapel, Romanesque building of the 13th century, N. D. mentioned valvert in the 13th (1245), once belonged to a Priory of the Abbey of Lérins.
• Guard: village of the 12th century, on the "Route Napoléon", 5 km upstream of Castellane. Coat of arms dating from 1117. Lintel interest above the entrance of the isolated Church in the middle of a meadow, inscription in Hebrew.
• Robion: 7 km South-West of Castellane, is accessed by a winding and picturesque road (101 D) which overlooks the Gorges and the ravine of Rayaud.Undated ancient Church. The pyramid of the Verdon, the Signal of Robion (1659 Mr.) bears the name of the village. Two chapels Templar, St-Thyrse (of 1118) and St-Trophime, which has the particularity to be nestled in a balm of the mountain. Stéphane ESCLAMANTI, a young craftsman from Draguignan, attempts only and volunteer, the restoration of the Templar of St-Trophyme Chapel North of the village of Robion. Robion is attached to the town of Castellane.
• Montagnac-Montpezat: villages located north of Ste-Croix-de-Verdon, near the 111 D, on the Plateau de Valensole. Castle of the 12th-14th centuries.Former fief of the Knights Templar. Legend of a buried Templar treasure (again, but never found him either!). Wash-house from the 14th with inscriptions in old Provençal (mixture of latin and Langue d'Oc).
• Saint-Andre-Les-Alpes: Although located outside the Gorge, but close to the Verdon, since it narrowly avoided the encroachment of the Lake - like Bauduen-, it is impossible not to mention the city of Saint-andre-les-alpes built in 900 metres above sea level, at the confluence of rissole and Verdon.Today the feet in water, characterized by houses with typical Provençal defensive architecture, the city represents an axis of communications with alpine Provence and Haut-Verdon. André HONNORAT applied in 1820 mechanization, in its industrial form, cloth industry. Its unique location at the edge of the Lac de Castillon promotes the development of modern tourism, with its beaches and its aquatic and nautical activities. But also free flight in hang gliding and paragliding from Chalvet signal. In 1991, took place unfold the Championships from the world of free flight, and in September traditionally, competitions that bring together the most ardent practitioners of this sport of freedom in the open air.
In the Var• Bargème: the highest of the cities of the Var built on a rocky spur which rises to 1097 m above sea level, 3 km. d 21 between Comps-sur-Artuby and Logis-du-Pin ("Route Napoléon"). Village of feudal Provence. Registered as Sites Classes, with the label of a "Most beautiful Villages of France". The restored 12th century castle, which belonged to the family of the PONTEVES SABRAN. Literary regional cultural exhibition during the months of July and August.
• The Bastide: D 21. The original Hamlet was built in the 12th century on the slopes of Mount Lachens, climax of the Var, Summit which stands at 1714 meters above sea level. Village occupied by Raymond de TURENNE on the 14th. The castle was built in the 17th century.
• Le Bourguet: at the extreme limit of the Var Department, in the Northeast, halfway between Castellane and Comps-sur-Artuby, on the D 252. Templar Sainte-Anne from the 11th century chapel. Church n. d. de L'Assomption dated 1697. Still visible remains of a Roman road near the village. Old farms of origin Templar.
• Châteauvieux: on D 52. Romanesque church rustic of 17th. The former convent of women St-Pierre in Demueyes fell into ruins in the 14th. The Provençal architecture of the 17th century Chateau. The period of the Bronze Age remains found on the territory of the commune.
• Brenon: between Châteauvieux and Le Bourguet, by D 52. A hamlet which was formerly a Priory of the Abbey of Fréjus. Medieval castle rebuilt in the 16th century, completely destroyed by fire at the end of 19th century. Remains of the Church n. d. Rouvieres from the 11th - 12th century.
• Marten: on D 52. Located in the upper Valley of the river Artuby. In the 10th century, the site of Castellas de Petra Longa was partly ceded to the monks of the Abbey of Lérins. Chapel of St-Blaise from the 11th. Lordship of Castellane, between the 12th and 17th. Ruins of the feudal Castle of le Castellas.La Martre bridge built in 1735. Chapel of St Joseph of 1620. Joan of Arc monument was erected by the "French remembrance" in 1909.
- Adventurer feedback : Verdon Gorge, a natural monument
- Tourist road circuits in Verdon Gorge Part 1
- Tourist road circuits in Verdon Gorge Part 2
- At the heart of the Gorges du Verdon
- Dams and explorations of Verdon
- Guests of the Gorges du Verdon
- Trilogy and traditions of Provence
- Sport in the Gorges du Verdon
- My dear bees
- My dear bees Part 2
- Tell us the story of the Verdon
- Verdon Gorge, be different !
- History of Verdon
- Memoirs of Verdon Gorge
- Once upon a time the Verdon
- Verdon Natural Regional Park
- Visit the Verdon Gorge